on 8 March 2009
I had this book when I was a child. I learnt a fantastic amount from it, much of which I still remember over 50 years later. It is detailed, and doesn't talk down, using the Latin names of plant families, for instance, but in the context of stories. Two boys and a girl go for country walks with their neighbour, who teaches them about the plants and animals they see. Nobody worries about this, although he is male and new to the neighbourhood. I suppose by modern standards it is sexist in some ways, but one of the lessons that stayed with me is that girls shouldn't squeal at insect life!

The illustrations are exquisite.
on 21 January 2009
If you are an Enid Blyton fan, this book will take you back down memory lane as her unique style presents nature through stories and fascinating facts about trees, flowers and birds.

For teachers and those who work with children, this book is an accessible way into learning more about nature and some children might enjoy the stories as useful preparation to going outside. This is the book's value.

The book has some limitations. It was written in 1945 in the South of England and our natural areas have changed. For those who do not know much about nature this can be confusing as some plants which used to be common are becoming increasingly rare. Some of the references are to plants which are not found further north. Also there is a moral tweeness and stereo-typing to Enid Blyton's books which can be off-putting.

If you like Enid Blyton and you want to know a little more about nature from her, buy this book. If you don't like her style then avoid this book like the plague!
on 9 July 2009
I've looked for this book for over 30 years so was thrilled to find it at long last. Delivery was quick and item received in excellent condition. Would highly recommend.
on 25 June 2013
This was my favourite book as a child and the one from which I acquired all my early knowledge of plants, birds, butterflies, etc. I still have, and will not part with, my original copy from the 1950s and have just bought this copy to give to my six year old grandson. It is easy for a child to read, written as a story, but contains so much information. Wonderful!
on 6 March 2015
I was given this book as a child and decided to see if it was still available so that I could show my grandchildren a part of my childhood. I loved the monthly walks trying to follow the stories, the things to make and the poems. The identification of trees, birds and flowers. It is old fashioned by today's standards and haven't shown them yet so cannot say if children today would be interested.
on 2 November 2014
This book is in excellent condition. It's a book that is well-illustrated and also has wonderful water-colour prints of animals of the English woodland including red squirrels, badgers and robins painted beautifully by my uncle, Noel Hopking. The book is a kind of herbal guide for children giving information about a wide range of plants that are interesting to find month by month through the year and also how to identify common English trees. There are delightful stories for children long before the digital age when there was an air of excitment when going out into the natural world. A lovely innocent book for young children of all ages. I love this book and recommend it to all parents.
I was brought up on the books by Enid Blyton and now I'm a Medical Herbalist in England using many of the plants described in this book as medicines for natural cures.
Alan Hopking MA MNIMH (Member of the National Institute of Medical Herbalists of Great Britain)
on 29 April 2010
This book was one of the delights of my childhood. It is still excellent, though a little dated and stands for the simple pleasures of the outdoors as an option to being a couch potato. Parents might like to note this! The one sadness is that so many 'common' birds are no longer plentiful and you won't have any difficulty in distinguishing between a blackbird and a thrush by its song since it is 90% more likely to be the blackbird.I last saw a thrush in my garden during the recent snow when it was driven in by hunger but the familiar 'tap-tap' of a snail on the pavement is more or less a thing of the past.
Nostalgia rules!
on 30 December 2010
My husband bought this for me for Christmas and what a delight it is. This takes me back to my 1960s childhood.The illustrations are wonderful and the way there are walks from different weeks of the year are magic. Some of the wildlife described sadly are no longer commonly seen these days. It is told from a family's point of view and is quirkily old fashioned. I am an Enid Blyton fan and it is a real treat to see this re published and in hard back.
on 21 November 2009
This is an absolutely brilliant book which will be forever useful. You can use it any time of the year on walks with children or even just for yourself if your own knowledge of British nature is not that good. It gives you different things to look for twice each month and also tells it in a story. The story may be a bit dated though I find children generally don't mind that.
on 26 August 2013
A lovely way to learn about nature, all the facts being part of a story. Very nice illustrations thoughout. my favorite character is fergus the dog with a lovely sense of humour.