Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 February 2014
I am still in the process of reading this book, but what I have read so far makes this a good book, I would even say a really good book, as it looks at feminism and our past sometimes difficult relationship with men in the church. and says that Jesus Loves us(women) too.
So often feminism is placed in other boxes, too many to address here, which cause fear and allows men to rule with a power that is not of God or kind. It challenges the idea that we(women) are not equal to men in our ability to minister or have callings equal to that of men.
It addresses the bible and scripture that has been read or interperted as women being subject to men, when actually it is saying we learn from them about what we don't understand, but have equal standing alongside them.
on 10 December 2013
Sarah Bessey defines Jesus feminism as "feminism is shaped and informed by their faith in Jesus Christ", and a Jesus Feminist as "someone who has embraced God's radical notion that women are people, too".

So many people associate feminism with anger, a rejection of femininity, and wanting to dominate women. This book very gently blows all those associations away, and concentrates on how God sees women, and how that should shape our response. I love the way Sarah Bessey has reclaimed feminism as something that is not only something that is compatible with being a Christian, but something that flows naturally, logically, out of belonging to Jesus.

There were three things I particularly loved about this book:

1. Her Bible-handling.

The beginning chapters focus on Jesus and Paul’s attitude to women. This isn’t a book that outlines both sides of the debate about women’s role in the church in the home, nor a book that systematically goes through the a Biblical views of women. Rather, it presents the ‘egalitarian’ theological framework (that women and men are equally called to servant-leadership in the church and mutual submission within marriage) unapologetically, through faithful and contextually-aware exposition. Her tone is always effortlessly graceful. If you are someone who has often struggled or stumbled over seeing Christianity as misogynistic, these chapters will be balm to you.

2. Her compassion.

Part of the reason I now identify myself as a feminist was seeing that, globally, women are subject to vast social injustice. Sarah outlines these various areas in a way that does not condemn but rallies people into action. Her zeal is contagious.

3. Her reflections on her life experiences.

Her stories of childbirth and mothering and how they have changed her perspective of the heart of God made me well up. She offers a compelling apologetic for the need for these kinds of stories and metaphors in order to enhance our theological understanding. We need the voice of women in the church so that we have the full picture of God.
The style of this book is quite distinctive: it is not combative, not academic or expositional, nor entirely story-based. I remember Sarah saying she wanted it written with a ‘prophetic voice’, and it has a lyric quality, often sounding a little like a commissioning service. This is potentially the kind of style you will either love or hate, so check out her blog to get an idea of how she writes.

Sarah Bessey’s writing always makes me want to stand up and do something. If you are looking for a detailed account of the history of feminism or the biblical justification for egalitarianism compared with complementarianism you will be disappointed by this book. But if you are a woman, sitting at the back, weary of being silenced, and wondering what your place is in the church, then this book will make you want to stand again, and probably sing and dance too.

**disclosure - i received a free copy of the book in exchange for my honest review, which this is**
on 2 March 2015
She sheds a hopeful new light on how feminism doesn't have to be compelled by rage but rather by love.
on 6 December 2015
Superb gentle spirit filled approach to a topic that has and continues to bring extreme hurt and disunity in the body of Christ. Wonderfully encouraging and thorough reflection on what God has to say to all of humanity and to see that being lived out in many different lives in many different ways. Can't wait to read the next book by this young insightful writer.
on 18 February 2014
Challenged as I reflected on how I'd been viewed as a Christian woman and therefore how I should/be allowed to serve. Inspired to love and serve with freedom in who God has made me to be. Authentic, truthful, challenging, inspiring writing.
on 11 April 2016
Quite good, nice to know there are other equality families out there! Addresses scriptural content regarding equality too.
on 16 April 2016
Bought as a gift for a friend and she is really enjoying it
on 22 September 2014
I hate when people use the bible to oppress anyone, but especially women. This book gives clear examples of Jesus loving and freeing women. It's very encouraging for women in ministry or people who feel called to God and don't like the misogynist aspect. Was a very good read.
on 25 August 2014
Great book. Challenging. Practical. I've been a feminist since my teens and loved Jesus since a child which at times has caused tensions. This book is not rocket science but is real and readable for all, and is now being passed around and recommended to friends and family -including my mother who doesn't think she's a feminist but she is a Jesus feminist. Check out Sarah's blog too. Really worth while.
on 25 May 2016