on 23 February 2014
I came across this book when I was looking for worship songs to play at church and as we had been discussing what to do over lent I decided to give it a go. It was only about £3 by Kindle and I thought it was worth it to see what it is like.
Jonathan writes fluently and clearly, he gives a lot of background to why he thought of this course which I have to admit I skim read a bit (I am only seeing if it is worth bringing to my group to properly study) We've previously enjoyed the Lineage of Grace housegroup resources and I also got a lot out of a lent course based on the Prodigal Son painting at my previous church so I do enjoy looking at the deeper allegorical christian meaning of cultural items. So with that background, what do I think so far? Short answer - really great.

I loved the film and in fact went with a big group from church to watch it at the cinema. I read the book Les Miserables years ago and the Bishop has always stayed in my mind. Jonathan uses each of the main characters as a pathway to assess an aspect of your Christian life i.e. Fantine's fall from grace mirrors our fall from grace, her earlier dreams of a pleasant life filled with love etc reflect how we feel when we first come into this world.
I have read the first three characters/chapters so far: Fantine, the Bishop and Jean Valjean and I will definitely be recommending this to my friends and to my housegroup for this years Lent courses.
For £3 who could go wrong?
on 14 March 2015
Excellent Lent Course - it is written for Group Work - unfortunately for me there is no Lenten Group organised in this Parish, so I am working through it on my own - but it is still an excellent exercise in deep thinking and exploration - an unusual Lenten Course - possibly the best I have ever followed.
on 15 April 2017
The basis of this Lent course is fantastic and I was immediately drawn to it but when we used it this year in our inter-church study group I found the practicalities of using the questions in each chapter virtually impossible. I found the trains of thought exceptionally difficult to follow and ended up using only the basic ideas and writing more engaging questions for our group.
on 5 May 2017
Our meetings were helped by discussing the issues raised by the video clips, but they were very hard to find, without clear timings. Also the meetings tended to become as much literary discussion of the book 'Les Miseables' as Lent theme discussion.
on 29 March 2014
An excellent mixture of Biblical and other literary insights into the characters of Les Miserables. Highly enjoyable and very thought-provoking.
on 14 April 2014
Our church has just done this as our lent course.

It isn't the best, and the themes can seem repetitive, but it is not by any means terrible.

My biggest grip is the vague references to the scenes that need watching! Not helpful, especially if you haven't watched the movie many times!
So to help those who are in the same predicament as I was, here are the timings:

SESSION ONE

1hour 47min 45sec - 1hour 52min 40sec

Who Am I?
2hours 8min 26sec - 2hours 11min 32sec
2hours 15min 32sec - 2hours 23min 31sec
11 Comment| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 April 2014
Difficult to follow with very poor references to place on the DVD. Discussion starters were too prescriptive leaving little room for original thought. A struggle to lead.
on 12 February 2016
as advertised and quickly delivered
on 21 March 2017
This is Jonathan Meyer's Lent Course. It is a Lent course, after a dictated fashion. There are themes, suitable for a Lent course, obviously close to Rev Meyer's heart, noticed in this wonderful novel/film, and on this remarkable film he has hung them, squeezed them, contrived them and then forgotten them as the vast amount of ambiguous Bible Readings bamboozle their way through the genius of Victor Hugo. A timeless realisation of God hardly needs Rev Meyer's strung out list of Kindergarten questions! By using this, particular, absolutely brilliant musical version, one might have hoped for some realisation of the genius and power of the composition and meticulously mirrored themes, sung by different people, expressing their own situations, in incredible translations. Sadly, no. (Even "Look down and see the beggars at your feet" was misunderstood.) Lent IS supposed to be a bit of a trial!
on 30 March 2014
but a little too wordy. I suppose this should have been expected as the film is very long. We opted for a different Lent Course which seemed easier to get into and to run.