on 15 April 2017
Just what I wanted.
on 14 March 2015
A Lent course using the file The King's Speech. Each week the group needs to watch two short clips from the film.
WE really enjoyed Hilary Brand's previous Lent Course based on the film Chocolat, but this is proving more difficult to manage. The problem is that it was straightfporward to have to VHS tapes set up ready to show the necessary scenes each week, but now we olny have DVDs and it's far harder to get to the necessary scene each time- we have to play thoruogh the trailers and if the part we want to see is not at the start of a chapter, we then paly "chicken" hoping to fast forward far enough, but not too far. A DVD which only had on it the clips we need each week, would be a great coompanyment to the course.
on 4 February 2012
Looking for suitable material for a mixed house group that meets the needs of people of different ability can be a challenge.
After looking at a number of other courses for this lent we found that this book is both topical, relevant for different 24/7 lifestyles and callings, and biblically sound.
Looking forward to sharing this book with our group.
on 14 November 2012
'Finding a Voice' is a study course, based on the film: "The King's Speech". It covers important subjects, such as: Overcoming fear, Finding what our vocation is, The Need for Perseverance, and The Gift of Encouragement. Our weekly House Group has thoroughly enjoyed following it and has derived great benefit. The only problem is - I believe that the book is now out of print.
on 1 May 2013
We used this book for an ecumenical lent course which was attended by 80 people. You do need to be familiar with the DVD player being used. The leaders notes at the end of the book tell you exactly where to stop and start the DVD clip, using the 'chapters' setting on the DVD so do read that before the session. Only one session uses a clip that doesn't start at the beginning of a chapter but that isn't a problem if you set up it up and pause the DVD in the correct place before the session starts.
on 21 March 2013
I read this book as part of a Lent course with a small group. The use of the King's Speech film to illustrate how doubts and fears can hold us back, was an excellent idea. The biblical references used show that, as a child of God, we don't need to be led by these fears, but rather by our Heavenly Father, who has given us everything we need to step out in faith and serve him wholeheartedly. The reminders of who we are in Christ are life-changing, and discussing these with others in the group was helpful and encouraging. I would recommend this to anyone who is struggling with a lack of confidence, but also as a whole-church Bible study - I think everyone would grow through applying the truths it contains to their everyday lives.
on 22 May 2014
I have used this in conjunction with the DVD as our lent group in two churches.
Using the book and DVD together worked well (even in a church not used to electronic gizmo's).
The book gives information for running the sessions. It is a bit confusing as it has one set of instructions for using it yourself and one for running as a group. I found I was flipping between the two when planning each week.
One member of the congregation has recently stood up for the church in a local meeting and said afterwards, "I wouldn't have done that before, The King's Speech has given me a voice."
Job done!!!
on 8 August 2016
Excellent study. The author has clearly done her research and uses her insight to provoke discussion on a number of subjects. Our group is working its way through Hilary Brand's film-based studies and have found this a very effective way to learn more about putting faith into practice.
on 11 June 2014
If you are looking for a Lent course with a difference this is the one. Based on the film the King's speech it takes us on a journey with Bertie and the struggles he faced learning to speak in public. Engaging with the scriptures it invites us to find our voice in sharing our faith. A Great study which led to many positive comments and stories from the group I was in.
on 14 April 2013
This is an excellent book, giving some imaginative and useful ideas for application to church life. It cleverly brings out the issues from the film and provides easy to use ideas for group use. The session on bad language was particularly engaging. The suggestions for worship/prayer are also very helpful. Recommended.