Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 March 2017
An excellent Lent Study which is on going. We are all enjoying the experience.
on 28 April 2009
I ran this as a lent course for those apparently allergic to bible study - we drank wine and ate different chocolate nibbles each week. at the beginning no-one wanted to read the Bible out loud or say the short prayer printed to end the evening - by the end of the course they were all taking part. and want to continue to meet and study. fantastic, the book is a real blessing; it would work at any time but is especially good during lent. you do need to start a week early tho if you want to watch the film all the way thro together (recommended)
on 17 December 2010
Although designed as a Lent Study Course (the setting for the film being a French village during Lent), I would say that this is a suitable study for any time of year (especially for the more devout who might be off chocolate for Lent!)

As a group we planned to meet once a week over a period of six weeks, the first simply to watch the thoroughly absorbing video of the film 'Chocolat' on which the text is based, the next five to go through each of the five study chapters, questions and allocated video extracts (which we were always loathed to stop running on). We decided to rotate the leadership for each session and managed with just one copy of the book, although a copy each would be good for personal study follow up. We finished each session with refreshments that invariably included some form of chocolate. So taken with the film we all decided to tag on a seventh meeting to watch the film in its entirety again followed by a mini chocolate party!!

During the course of the study various characters within the film, their attitudes to church and faith are studied, together with appropriate Bible passages and in so doing greatly challenges our own characters and attitudes in a light-hearted yet very real and penetrating way.

Having been part of various Church house-groups for many many years, I would say that this study was the most enjoyable, inspiring, challenging and group bonding I have done, appealing to a wide adult age range. Well done Hilary Brand!
on 14 March 2011
I bought this book a while ago having read a positive review, with the intention of using it with a small group at some point. We are now doing the studies for Lent on Saturday nights in our house and so far (only week 2) am absolutely delighted.

The studies are well-prepared with helpful notes and things you can add it/cut out to make it fit to the time available. The questions are thought provoking and the film really lends itself to this kind of study. You continue thinking about things raised long after the study is over. We've really benefitted so far and are looking forward to the next week!

I think that as someone else has commented it's a very non-threatening study for those who are on the edge of church/faith and suitable for a wide range of ages/backgrounds.

I would also agree with the person that said it would be difficult to do this if you had given up chocolate for lent - I'd forgotten how good the film makes chocolate good! Fortunately none of us is in that position and so we've decided to make a different batch of something nice and chocolatey each week! Hurray!
on 28 March 2011
I have used this several times with Lent Study groups and it works really well. People enjoy watching the film excerpts and important issues are tackled in an interesting way. It gets a bit complicated working out what bits are to be read before and after each session, but apart from that is easy to follow. We finish the series with a chocolate party - after Lent of course!
on 24 February 2003
I was impressed to find a Christian study that is based around a popular, contemporary film. This book looks at real issues around giving and about relating to other people in our lives. Lent is often seen as being about giving things up, particularly chocolate and examining this through the film and through this book sheds a new light on this issue and many others. This study could be used in various group settings.
I found the information on the chocolate trade and fairly traded chocolate particularly appropriate and informative and I also appreciated the chocolate recipes!
on 7 June 2014
Our Church group used this as a guide, along with our Bibles, for our Lenten studies. Very interesting. I had read the book and seen the film some time ago but got so much more out of it with the help of this guide. Good examination of human nature at its best and worst.
on 17 April 2012
A unique analysis of the film 'Chocolat' from a Christian viewpoint, looking at the characters in the film and their behaviour and trying to draw conclusions from them.
A successful attempt.
on 14 January 2017
You're all nuts! Signed, a chocolatier.
on 5 February 2015
Our lent study group used this course this year and really enjoyed it. We liked the film and the study that followed.