Customer reviews

on 26 November 2010
Although I found this book very human, informative and readable - and I realised that it achieved its objective it wasn't exactly what I personally wanted. My fault, perhaps, as I was seeking information about the Bereavement Journey and the stages of recovery\grief but not in the context of loosing a wonderful,dear one. Hence my selecting a title that seemed to focus on the practicalities rather than the crushing loss dimension. Perhaps what I was seeking doesn't exist. By way of an explanation my husband died this summer; we had been married > 40 years, we have two wonderful children, we have come through some good and hard times together ...but he was an emotional abuser who made my life a daily misery, however I didn't wish him ill, was disturbed by his death and still struggle to understand my feelings.
on 20 May 2010
I borrowed this from my library after my marriage broke up. It's aimed at the bereaved but a lot in here useful to me too. It is very sensitively written, completely honest and gently encouraging. There are no made-up case studies or exercises, just condensed wisdom and understanding from someone who's lived through grief and also counselled lots of other people.I'm buying a copy now.
on 6 January 2011
This book covers all aspects of this very painful process. It was very easy to read and convinced the reader of how natural changes in your behaviour were. It even covered differences in other people's behaviour which is not usually written about. An excellent foreword by Claire Rayner and an excellent little book.
on 27 February 2017
really good book for those going through grief- though be prepared to cry quite a bit. I read it then gave it to my sister who tried to read it on a train but couldn't- just too emotional. I am glad that those emotions and feelings have been able to come out which all helps with grief. Excellent book for anyone, just to get a better idea of what it is like for anyone going through grief. It was worth the money, as I felt it was quite expensive for the size of book.
on 3 March 2015
An insight to the process of grieving. As in all books, some parts are relevant and some are not, but it is difficult to personalise when this as many other subjects are so complicated. I'm pleased I read it as it was of help and I shall keep it for reference.
on 7 July 2014
This is an outstanding book. I have lent my copy to numerous people over the years who have found it very useful. Only buying another because I can't remember to whom I lent it last!
on 25 April 2015
This is one of the most helpful books for people who are facing loss. It doesn't preach - and does not gloss over the real pain of the grieving.
on 17 May 2009
I bought this book many years ago and i have purchased copies since for friends that have been bereaved it seems to help.
on 1 February 2014
The doctor recommended this book to me and it lives up to my expectations. The service I received from Wandsworth Salvation Army was second to none.
on 28 June 2015