on 16 June 2003
My mother and I were each given our own copy of this book when my father died very suddenly ten years ago. Since then, I've sent it many people as a comfort in their bereavement.
Its selection of poems, writing and thoughts on grief were invaluable to me. So much so that, for a period of time, I carried it with me everywhere with pictures of my dad kept in the pages of the book, marking poems I particularly liked.
It may not be to everyone's taste at hard times in their lives, but this book helped me.
on 18 September 2017
This is a moving and cathartic 'anthology for those who grieve' which I have read and re-read over the years and also used to read from at a funeral. I ordered it to give to a friend who has just lost her husband but sadly it didn't arrive in time for me to give to her when I travelled to be with her.
on 2 June 2017
Bought this after having it recommended to me. My son died last November, sometimes I struggle to put my feelings into words. It has been comforting to have this anthology at my bedside. it is divided into chapters with different themes. I can't relate to all of it yet but it gives me hope that one day I will feel better. bought a copy for my sister in law following the death of her husband and she's also found it useful
on 2 June 2017
This was recommended to me by a friend on the death of my Father. I was very pleased to be able to get hold of it and it's helping a lot.
on 30 November 2007
One of my close friends gave me this book after my husband died a few years ago. I read it on a daily basis in the first couple of months and found it a great source of comfort. It has a range of poems, etc which cover all aspects of bereavement. There is one piece I particularly like which describes how the dead person has 'gone into the next room, waiting for you there'. This stayed in my mind and helped me to see death as part of an ongoing cycle, not a finality. In my experience, having a chance to read about bereavement by a range of authors, helped me to deal with some of the feelings that maybe didn't come out talking to friends or family.
I have logged onto amazon today to get a copy of it for a close friend following her mother's recent death. I highly recommend it.
on 15 June 2010
I was sent this book twenty-four years ago when I was widowed aged 29, I kept it by my bed and in the long and anguished nights that followed I drew huge comfort from it. I dipped into it when I couldn't sleep and I read it when I felt that no one else could possibly know what I was going through. It is published by the excellent CRUSE the charity for bereavement. I have given many copies of it to people in need and they have all I think, found something that resonates in it for them personally. Grief is a very bleak landscape and this book helps and guides one through it.
on 16 June 2012
My husband died in 2004 after 43 years of marriage an experience of many and therefore accepted as being expected, and until it happens to oneself one is unaware of the impact on one's life.
A friend gave me a copy of All in the End is Harvest, an anthology of words by an eclectic group of contributors.
It helped with learning about the way grief affects one and always seemed to have just the right thing to say at the time one needed help. At the worst times it always seemed to provide consolation.
I now give it to friends who have lost loved ones, rather than flowers and it has helped many through the sad times. I calculated that in 8 years I have sent over 50. Many keep it by their beds and dip into it for the comfort it gives.
The nice thing is that there comes a time when one has worked through the worst part of the loss and then one can move on and pass the book on to someone else. But I have a copy beside me still as it is so full of wisdom as one never really recovers totally from beavement.
Thank goodness no one has updated it. I get most of my copies via Amazon and the dates of publication vary from the 80s onwards. The cover has been changed a little, but I hope that that will be as far as it goes. The content is timeless and I hope it is never changed. I could not recommend this book more.
on 24 December 2010
I lost my wonderful mum in May, and have been deeply affected by feelings of guilt, regret and sadness at the loss of not only a mum, but my best friend. This wonderful book will bring comfort and in time, I'm sure a lessening of the anguish and utter desolation we feel. I have cried when reading it, but find a consolation in the beautiful words of some of the writings.
When you are grieving it's not easy to put in to words how you feel (even if you wanted to).

I would recommend this book to anyone recently or not so recently bereaved. It is a wonderful companion.
on 8 March 2009
A bereavement councillor gave this book to be when I was deep in grief, and it made all the difference to me. When you are grieving it is difficult for people to help you, try though they may; and of course they do try, and that is wonderful. It does help, but you need something more, because all to often the pain is so deep that no relative or friend can really touch it.
This is where this wonderful book comes in. If I say, and it is true, that when I was given it I suddenly felt less alone, it may seem bizarre. But that's how it was. The book addresses you. Many of its extracts come from those who have grieved themselves, and this actually does reach the pain, because while you are reading it it is as though you are in the presence of a fellow sufferer, who understands what you are going through, and can help. And what this tells you is that, painful though grieving is, terrible as the pangs of grief are, that all in a way is well. Grief needs to be expressed and lived through.
Various ideas are put forward as to why the pain is so great, and I found the best of these to be that grief is the price we pay for loving. Grief is a very intense and painful experience, but if we loved the person who has died, then in a way we owe them the tears we shed. Beside such thoughts you will find the promise of recovery. It seems impossible to the person deep in grief that he or she will ever recover, but the promise of this book is that, though it may take a while, the sufferer will eventually return to his usual self. It actually says that grief can, eventually, bring out the best in you. Many, having gone through it and been shattered by it, wish to help others so stricken, and accordingly join bereavement care organisations. I did.
Since reading this book in the darkest hour of my life, I must have bought some twelve copies, which I've given to those suffering a great loss. It is written in a style that may be dipped into, and every type of grief is addressed, from losing a spouse, a child, a dear friend, a parent, to losing someone who may have taken their own life. It is worth reading even if not in grief - and it is certainly worth having a copy by one's side to pass on should a friend, or an acquaintance, be in need. I have two copies on the side, and sooner or later they will be in the hands of those who need them. Wonderful book.
on 26 April 2013
I bought this for my Mum. Having lost my Dad four months ago, she said she was still waking at the 4am witching hour, and was unable to go back to sleep, turning over his final months with cancer and his eventual death in her mind. She has told me several times since receiving it that it was just what she needed - she can dip in and out of it and flick through to find something she likes the look of. Mum has said she'd consider buying another copy for friends/relations when they are bereaved, but definitely will not be lending it out as she wants to hold on to it!