Customer reviews

on 3 July 2015
Bought this as a gift for my mum who really rates professor Francione.

This book is a collection of essays which argue the personhood of non-human animals. Gary L Francione has the amazing ability to shake us out of our ignorance and comfort zones, not with horror stories but with theories that make us examine our own humanity and moral values. He can really make us think outside the regurgitated untruths that we have all been hypnotised with.

He exposes the harmful flaws of animal welfare reforms and shows that animal rights is about the abolition of animal use, exploitation and injustice NOT the regulation of animal treatment. The moral baseline of the animal rights movement is veganism. And veganism is, quite simply, nonviolence.

This book is a must for all thinking people. It should be a compulsory read on all school curriculums.
4 people found this helpful
on 7 October 2014
With clarity, consistency and without any compromise, Gary L. Francione sets out to raise the status of animals. Where others have accorded humans some special trait or other, which we in no certain terms have, Francione demands sentience -- a means to the end of continued existence -- is not only necessary but sufficient to be accorded the right not to be treated as property.

I have long been interested in philosophy, especially ethics and epistemology, but I've always been surprised at the lack of lucidity in philosophers' argument. Accordingly, I have somewhat understood people's aversions against reading philosophy. Apparently, questions of right and wrong are better answered by law professors, especially after having taken the stance that, "Yes, the world does, for all intents and purposes, exist to me as I perceive it."

Thank you, Prof. Francione!
3 people found this helpful
on 29 May 2011
Tis book more or less changed my life. I suggest anyone who is interested in animals, loves animals, or is just curious about what is Animal rights to read this book.
8 people found this helpful