Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Morrissey Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 16 November 2016
Really interesting book on gastronomy, not as simple as I had hoped but one to understand as you delve in
on 23 September 2011
The instructions in cookery books are based on little more than "I tried this and it was nice, or that and it failed". They are imprecise, sometimes wrong, and without explanation of cause. This is different, and attempts to understand, explain and define some processes scientifically. As a non-scientist, I failed to understand parts of it, but most chapters contained a some explanations and conclusions I found very interesting and potentially useful for a cook, and could place far more confidence in them than in most other books on cooking.

If you are seeking a cook-book this is not for you. If you want to understand some of the processes involved and gain some useful tips buy it - you will learn and enjoy - but if you are not a scientist you may want to skim and read selectivly.
on 17 February 2010
I got this for christmas and I really liked the short article format. It's a bit like the food version of the New Scientist 'last word' series of books. Informative without being too technical but this is not a recipe book.
on 26 February 2015
Interesting read
on 1 February 2014
Bought this used and I am very happy with it. As a food technologist and product development specialist, I find it an enjoyable and interesting reference text and also for the odd moment of reading. A keeper.
on 28 September 2013
Hervè This is a Great Man and I wish I could practice something on food with him even for half day...Who knows! His approach inspires people. I never would have expected a senior gastronomer like him (talking in a video) about love trasmitted through the creation of dishes: you would expect him to talk all the way scientifically. "C'est la differance!"
This book is a nice approach to him and his works. I would probably love more working with him...but only because I'm practical person.
on 5 September 2012
this is one of the dullest food books i've ever encountered. i read a few chapters and had to put it down. i skimmed through the book and couldn't find anything in it that could be used practically or that tickled my interest. i'd skip this little tome; there are a lot of other -- and better -- books out there on this exciting approach to cooking and innovating.
on 10 March 2016
It is astonishing how what seems to be a small paperback can contain so many mind stretching subjects. I find the book outstanding.
on 10 August 2014
Waiting to hear from grandson, he seemed pleased
on 31 March 2015