Customer reviews

on 25 December 2014
Excellent book perfect for what I need it for. fast delivery Thank you.
on 10 April 2016
Chion is a genius
on 2 February 2014
One of the most popular and must-read books in sound design field. Highly recommended. My order came with yellow cover edition though
on 7 October 2014
Brilliant for my course work at university
on 7 January 2017
Puffed up academic .. again
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 28 November 2010
I can't say I know too much about Michel Chion himself, but what I do know is that his book 'Audio-Vision' (translated from French) is without a doubt a Bible for my studies. It neither lectures nor speaks down to the reader, but in plain English describes different theories that have otherwise been a mystery to viewers and scholars alike. The book is split into two Parts - one taking a direct approach to audio-visual theory, whilst the second (described as going 'beyond') gets to the more nitty-gritty argumentative stage. I'd call this a Bible because it can literally be picked up, and with each 'Part' having sub-headings for the various theories/semiotics, it is incredibly easy to read.

The book is also broad in its target audience, for it does not root itself to any particular form of media. As a Music student at University, Chion's work has encouraged me to continue my research into film soundtracks and I couldn't think of a better recommendation if you're new to this area.
on 20 December 2010
I'm studying music at Univeristy and was constantly taking this book out of the Library...along with everyone else it seems! After three years of taking this book out of the university library I decided to buy it! Great book, lots of useful information regarding sound/music and moving images. A must have if analysising film sound/music and generally an interesting book.

Translation is good too (French to English) and I think the book is definatly worth the money! :)
on 27 June 2014
This book is one of the most widely-cited, critically acclaimed works on sound and image, and how they support each other. Everything that they do, this guy knows about it. The book is absolutely full of insight on EVERYTHING sound and image do when we perceive them, and how they work in films. If you're a researcher in games, film, or perhaps a director, sound engineer, this book will teach you something on every page.