Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 October 2013
These are two adventures in the truest sense of the word. One chronologically follows the other and are probably the beginning of all that we have come to know and love about Bear Grylls! Both take place during his twenties, after he left the SAS due to injuries sustained during a parachuting accident. The first, an unlikely attempt to reach the summit of Everest, the second, an amazing journey in a rigid hulled inflatable boat to try to cross the Arctic Atlantic Ocean.

I could not put this book down. It is humorous and compelling and you feel that you are almost there with him.The books keep you on the edge of your seat almost all the time, waiting to see if the end result is success or failure!
on 4 September 2013
I have just finished reading this book took me a couple of days. I must say that I am impressed by the way the two adventures are written. The Everest climb story the better of the two. He claims to have been in the SAS at the age of 18 yrs. The TA ?? I think going back to my military days you had to have served at least a couple of years with a regiment to even be considered for the entrance application. I may be wrong. Anyway overall I enjoyed the book a great read.
on 26 October 2013
What an amazing book. To read what Bear and his friends went through on Everest and in the Arctic is incredible. Man's resilience and determination really show through, though it is certainly a testament to Bear and his friends that their strength, faith, determination and luck helped them on their journeys. Most highly recommended, occasionally nail biting and very difficult to put down!
on 23 March 2014
I am a twelve years old girl and I love animal documentaries.
I really love Bear Grylls' book and this is the second one I've read. I love learning about all his experiences and would recommend this book for both kids over ten and adults who are interested in Mt Everest and sailing. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!
on 28 October 2015
brilliant read, felt i was there every-step of the way, the strange thing was, when reading this my hands and feet were actually freezing cold,
My deepest sympathy to all those brave men and women who lost there life's on the biggest mountain on the planet.
on 31 August 2013
Bear is a brave man. His candid style is refreshing; he is not afraid to be self deprecating, nor to heap praise on each member of his team. Both books-in-one are a gripping read, and I thoroughly enjoyed them.
on 16 October 2013
Incredible, great story of adventure and humility and the desire to follow ones dreams in life rather than be sucked into the treadmill of life as most people do
on 12 November 2015
excellent read. So well written you feel as if you are taking part in the adventures.Quite scary!Have now bought more for christmas presents.
on 12 September 2013
Written with passion and humility. Excitement from start to finish. I couldn't put this book down. Can't wait to read more of his books.
on 22 October 2013
Gripping drama with inspirational feats of achievement. I bought this for the Everest story but enjoyed the boat crossing just as much.