on 8 October 2011
Having read Sir Alan; sorry, Lord Sugar's very interesting Autobiog (released only a year ago), and as a fan of The Apprentice, I was quite excited when this appeared on the shelves.

However, taking a look within the pages, I couldn't help but feel disappointed. Not just with the content of the book itself, but what it revealed about Alan Sugar's personality.

Reading his autobio, you can't help but be impressed by Alan Sugar's acheivements, even if as ever, his phenomenal success in the 1980s in the computer market was largely due to being in the right place at the right time to latch onto a growing market (personal computers). The autobio contains a wealth of interesting tales from along Alan Sugar's journey through this success, and one might be left wondering what more he's got to say.

The answer is: everything and nothing. The book is a collection of barely Tweet-worthy wafflings on topics as diverse (and cringe-inducing) as Health and Safety, "The Youth of Today", and the nonsense of Fad diets, peppered with the odd hint of xenophobia and misogyny. The book's tagline is "Rants, Revelations and Rules for Life", but I found it contained only one of these. A better tagline might have been "Bitter Ramblings of a Retired Old Man".

Sorry to have to write this, and obviously I don't know the guy, but its neither very interesting (anything useful is already contained in his autobiog), nor does Lord Sugar portray himself in an attractive light.
33 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 October 2011
I received this book yesterday and have only read the first two chapters but so far it's just brilliant. Every thing that Alan Sugar rants about are my thoughts exactly - as he says, the world has gone mad and I totally agree with him. I always
thought he sucked up to Labour and Gordon Brown but he has very strong views on how they messed up and talks about how Gordon Brown just smiled at him when he attempted to tell him what was wrong with the country. I roared with laughter at his choice of words
to describe Janet Street-Porter. A brilliant read so far.
on 10 November 2015
I really enjoyed his first book, telling his life story and how he made his fortune. I saw this book and thought it would be a good read, however I found the book a tad boring and ended up skipping chunks of it. The first few chapters were good and his opinions were spot on, then after that I found it almost rushed. Almost like he just chucked in some random things to rant about badly.

Then the biggest issue for me was the fact he re-quoted loads of his original book. I found myself reading massive chapters of quotes from a story I had just read in his previous book. And it happens a lot. If you take these sections out, i think you would find the book is very short. And then to top it off, the last two chapters are the same as the first but worded slightly different.

My advice is if you have recently read his first book, dont bother with this one.
on 11 January 2012
"Work hard and play hard but don't mix the two !" Lord Sugar did not go to any fancy public school but he seems to have built his life around the precepts commonly dealt out by the housemasters and headmasters of such establishments. In fact he did mix the two when he took on Tottenham Hotspurs and by his own account lived to regret it, because such was this distraction, he took his eye off the ball as far as the dot.com boom was concerned and the opportunities passed him by !

I thought at first I was not going to enjoy this book because I have never watched "The Apprentice" (a few extracts on U-Tube have remedied this!) and I did not like the brash, seemingly over-selfconfident approach. It has to be said that if stars were awarded purely for literary merit Alan Sugar would barely scrape two. But his common sense down-to-earth attitude to life quite won me over and I found myself agreeing with just about everything he rants about, restaurant etiquette apart. He may be a labour peer but he defends British middle-class values to the hilt believing that hard work and starting at the bottom is the motorway to success and that the business ethic of offering better value for money than the competition is the name of the game.

There are enjoyable chapters on his flying experiences, his biking and his tennis, and his long, never-ending battle to ensure he does not put on weight. Obviously his sporting enthusiasms help enormously in this regard but they are not enough and we follow some fairly basic but vital dietary decisions he has taken to ensure he keeps fit.The "tiny fork diet" is innovative but I am left feeling quite gluttonous and guilty knowing he has foregone butter and cream. However I guess he eats out very often when no doubt he relaxes his own rules.

His bold attitude to drugs is, I believe, becoming increasingly mainstream. Legalizing them he argues would do four things - apart from pleasing consumers. It would undermine the mafia of dealers and drug traffickers; it would prevent a great deal of crime committed simply to obtain the cash to feed an addiction; this in turn would free up a great deal of police time; and lastly it would raise money for the government because it would be taxed in the same way as tabacco and alcohol. But he sensibly points out that it would not be reasonable to go ahead without at least a European agreement. And perhaps some drugs, like crack and heroin, should be obtained only with special permission where a pre-existing condition exists.

Alan Sugar is a brilliant thinker and straight talker - trust me !
on 22 November 2011
I read the Autobiography. It was clearly stataed this book contained some of the stories from his autobiography. It does but in a very relevant and abridged format. In comparison this book is far easier to read for Sugar Fans or others. The title reflects the books contents. Lord Sugar does not hold back on letting us know what he thinks of TV people, the press and footballers and the big football businesses (they are certainly not clubs run for the benefit of the memebrs or true football supporters)

I for one would subscibe to some of his ecconomic policies on wars, pensions and the third world. As for crime- say it exactly as you see it Lord Sugar - I am not sure why you don't have more supporters in the big house. Those who think Lord Sugar who supports New Labour could be left of centre are wrong. He could be slightly to the right of Ghengis Khan on some things. I am trying to model myself on this sucessful business man
on 18 January 2016
I love both of Alan Sugar's other books. His autobiography is brilliant and his recent "Ten Years in Telly" is insightful and full of humour. Unfortunately I feel "The Way I See It" is not up to the standard of his other books. It reads a bit like a journalist in a red top tabloid who has been told to write something powerful or angry about a given subject. Just personal opinion but I feel he lets himself down with a lot of the sweeping statements, stereotyping, and borderline bigotry displaced in this book. I am sure there will be people who enjoy his "rants and revelations" but I would recommend picking up his other two books instead,
VINE VOICEon 7 March 2012
Having been disappointed with Alan Sugar's autobiography I wasn't certain what to expect from this volume which appears to be based on conversations which have been turned into chapters by a competent professional writer. The thoughts, views and rants, belong to Sugar and, in most instances, represent commonsense which is at a premium in an age of political correctness and the pernicious world of health and safety. He regards himself as straight talking and is annoyed when others fall below the standard he sets for himself. He asks the question "Has the World Gone Mad" and concludes it's lost its moral compass.

Having been successful in business he berates the additional cost imposed by the health and safety industry with their tin-pot dictatorial attitude. He abhors the compensation culture and encourages people to fight what he regards as blackmail. On many occasions companies find it easier to give in than incur the cost of defending their reputation. He has sympathy for teachers, police officers and prison officers who he feels are under-appreciated. He understands, as too many people in life do not, that work is not about money, it's about respect. If you pay peanuts you get monkeys. Pay people a decent wage and they will respond positively. Sugar came from a poor family and worked his way to wealth, others use poverty as an excuse to fail. His language is direct, "You are dealing with thieving thugs who don't want to work because it's easier to steal or leech off the benefits system." Sadly, he's right.

He's no time for the lack of resources argument either. "How come we can spend many millions taking military action in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya, yet we don't have the money to build more prisons? It is a stupid false economy." In classical economics it's called opportunity cost. Once you've spend money on one thing you've lost the opportunity to spend it on another. It is, as Harold Wilson is reputed to have said, "the language of priorities". It's also the language of efficiency with public service tendering methods fostering poor commerical judgement. In fairness he doesn't confine his attacks to the coalition and his message is applicable across the political divide. They are all equally culpable. He advocates the legalisation of drugs using the argument that if everything was legal it would undermine the illegal drugs market and free up resources to deal more effectively with other forms of crime. He writes, "Some people reading this may think I'm totally out of my brain to event consider legalising drugs and having them freely available." Got it in one.

His chapter on football is particularly interesting. He blames himself for not speaking up against the insanity that passes for normality in the football world. The amount of money spent on players' salaries is disproportionate to the overall running costs of clubs which leads to clubs borrowing, falling into unrepayable debt and going into adminstration. His proposal that the money from the deal with Sky should be split 50/50 with the Premier League retaining half the money which would be released for purposes other than players' wages and agents' fees. In his time at Tottenham he was frustrated by Darren Anderton who was often unavailable through injury but always available to play for England. He would gladly support a breakaway group of nations forming an alternative to FIFA and its machinations.

Although at times he criticises the Daily Mail he admits he sometimes sounds like the Daily Mail. He regards the libel laws as too favourable to publishers who defame people deliberately. As a result he's guarded in what he says. He knows some newspapers print lies and he expresses sympathy for members of the Royal Family who, in practical terms, are precluded from replying. His distaste for the Mail is apparent throughout the book but more surprising is his support for the BBC. He believes Jonathan Ross was worth £6 million for his three year contract. He misses the point that the BBC doesn't spend its own money, it spends ours and often unwisely. It is surprising because he taught his own children that if they wanted something they should work for it. His own children took Saturday jobs in McDonalds. Sugar is wealthy but has never forgotten when he had nothing.

Inevitably he addresses the question of "What makes an Entrepreneur?" Sugar believes the ability to spot an opportunity and turn it to your advantage cannot be taught, it's instinctive. In addition, it's important never to be complacent and assume your success will always be a nice little earner. The competition will soon catch up. It's important to be able to recognise those who don't have your principles. The rest is commonsense. Stick to what you know best, master sales and marketing and do a job which brings satisfaction rather than one which simply brings in money. Other techniques include getting in front of the person who has the buying power and have a disciplined daily routine. With modern technology it's possible to be at the heart of a business from anywhere in the world 24/7.

Of course the "I've done it, you can do it" approach has its limitations. No one would argue that we live in "an expectancy culture, where people still think there should be money freely available to finance lost causes, or poorly run companies, or the whim of an idea." It goes beyond that into the benefit culture something Sugar detests. The real key to success is to be able to run everything yourself but, ultimately, it's down to hard work, determination and a refusal to give up. There are no free lunches. I don't think Sugar is as balanced as he believes and I disagree with some of the things he advocates but those are outweighed by the good points. Five stars.
55 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 April 2012
What a fantastic read. Full of sharp observation, common sense and great wit. He tells it straight, and although he has great personal wealth, he speaks for the common man. He admits his mistakes, and laughs at himself, not a vain man at all. If only the government would take up some of his ideas, it would help get the country back on it's feet. It almost makes me wish that Labour were back in power, with him as their advisor. (though they probably wouldn't listen - too obvious). I simply could not put this book down, meals were late, and housework neglected. I have now read both his books. (What you see is what you get, being the other one) I hope he will continue writing as his books are so entertaining and informative. I would go so far as to say that his books should be in all schools, as he might inspire the next generation who seem only to aspire to celebrity and fame, and to not realise what a trillion to one chance they have of achieving it. Lord Sugar, who was born in a council flat in Hackney, is living proof that 'the work ethic' of previous generations is the only way to success and security. I have now discovered his FB page, and look forward to keeping up with his House of Lords activities through that.
on 6 February 2015
I purchased this after reading Sir Alan's (five star) autobiography. I found it a bit of a battle to be honest. Very confrontational. Some may like it but it wasn't for me. That's not to say it's a bad book and I admire the man non-the-less.
on 20 November 2011
As I haven't read Lord Sugar's autobiography, this is my first official foray into his world, and I have to say that I loved it! His no nonsense approach to the world and his old school way of thinking had me completely hooked! I hate to use the term unputdownable as I am uncertain of its existence in the English language, but I can think of no other word or term to describe it! Lord Sugar delves into all aspects of our postmodern world, vanquishes some myths, and truly tells it like it is! You'll definitely learn a lot, and his narrative is a wonder to behold! He even made me laugh in parts of the book, which can be awkward when you're sitting reading it on a train, as I was, at one point! There's something for everyone here, so it's a full on five star rating from me!