Format: Hardcover|Change

on 30 September 2004
My toddler received this book when she was a baby. She loved to lift the flaps and name the animal and then make the appropriate sound for that animal. Now it is her young brother's favourite bed time book. An excellent bed time book as it is simple and entertaining to read. Definately the best book in our collection.
on 24 January 2005
Really lovely children's book - the first book that my son really liked and actively requested. A nice story about the zoo sending various animals and sending them back (for the obvious reasons). There is plenty of scope for digression and fun.
Unreservedly recommended for very young children
on 13 August 2016
I loved this book as a child and as a result bought it for my child when I had him 12 years ago. Unfortunately after much well loved reading, it had become damaged beyond belief! I purchased this book for my youngest as she turned 1 and has started showing interest in story books. I hope she goes on to love this book too.

Each double page has an ending the is repeated, meaning you can make a nice little rhyme out of it when you read it and the child(ren) can join in as they know what is coming. The story is simply but flows and the different flaps hiding each animal are bright, creative and in all different shapes and sizes.

I STRONGLY recommend this book as I believe it is one of the essentials needed in every house!
on 29 October 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Perhaps, like the camel, I am just too grumpy, but I found this "touch and feel" book rather disappointing compared with the excellent "lift the flaps" original.

The element of surprise, so central to the original, is entirely absent. Although smaller children may enjoy touching a fuzzy elephant's ear or sticky frog's feet, the story is rather flat and dull without the opportunity of "unwrapping" each of the animal parcels sent by the zoo to the narrator.

A variety of different typefaces is used on each page, which looks a bit messy overall. The fabric between the page laminations results in some of the pages being rather uneven and lumpy (especially the giraffe's neck).

In its defence, this may well be better suited to younger children (e.g. 6 - 18 months) than the original, as it is less fragile. It's not a terrible book, but it doesn't live up to the high standards set by the original.
on 27 January 2016
Dear Zoo is another classic book I remember from my childhood, which I could not resist purchasing for my own children.

It is a lift-the-flap board book, which I find are always popular. The story is a very simple one, of a child who has written to the zoo to send them a pet. The zoo sends on various animals, but there is always a problem – the animal is either too big or too tall and so on.

My daughter loves this book. She’s had it since she was born, but even now she is approaching two she still reads it a lot. She loves naming the different animals and talking about them. She doesn’t seem to get board of the lift-the-flap element. I would definitely recommend this book for babies and young toddlers alike.
on 28 February 2016
I remember reading this when I was a child and it is now being enjoyed by my children. First published in the 80’s this book will forever remain a children’s classic. Dear Zoo is now being enjoyed by my 18 month old and was also enjoyed by my eldest. Simple illustrations, same repetitive phrase, it’s a great introduction in to lift-the-flap books and the world of children’s books created by Rod Campbell.

Dear Zoo will be enjoyed by any child under 5 but once nostalgia sets in, you’ll be enjoying it just as much. The board book is perfect for younger children, it is more rigid and will stand up to some punishment from little hands.
on 11 July 2016
This is my baby's favourite book by far. He loves it and if I start to read it even if his back is turned, he turns around to watch/listen. (He's 8 months old). He loves to do the flaps although I have to help him a little but, the lion and the monkey are special favourites for some reason. He adores it and I love watching his reaction. There's plenty of other books he couldn't care less about and I don't get much of a reaction, but I do with this one.
on 21 April 2015
The condition of the book was listed as very good but when it arrived two pages were stuck together with food. I managed to wipe it off but there is still a greasy stain between two pages. There is also scribble in blue crayon on another page. This won't come off.
review image review image
on 15 June 2016
Great, sturdy book with different animals hidden under the flaps. My 20-month-old daughter loves lifting the flaps and this has become her favourite book to read before bedtime. Not much to read for a parent but the pictures are nice and you can describe each animal to your little one. Highly recommended!
on 9 June 2016
Strong enough for a 6 month old not to break! Great! Really enjoyable read. You can do all the noises with the kids and theyblove to lift the flaps. Loved it from my childhood too. 2.5 yr old still loves it too.