on 27 October 2014
We had this charming Julia Donaldson/Nick Sharratt collaboration on paperback, but our 20 month old loves it so much he would insist on walking around carrying it. It was starting to look a little dog-eared, so I was delighted to find the board version. The text is repetitive, with a little addition on each page, and then you get a little surprise every now and then. The illustration is so lovely it really catches his attention. He particularly loves the train page, and at the end says "Bye Bye" with me.
Now we have the board book too his 4 year old brother sits there with him reading to him (mostly through memory as he's not quite there yet with the reading!). It's the most lovely thing to watch. I have this book to thank for such moments. :-)
on 4 October 2014
This is the third copy of this book I've bought. It is such a success with my 2yr old grandchildren and their friends. The text is repetitive and cumulative and the children soon pick up on the various sounds associated with certain animals, vehicles, actions, etc. It would be a great book to use with early years to encourage speech and explore different sounds.
on 5 February 2010
Clever use of words and sounds, together with wonderful illustrations. Great fun to read with gusto, and much appreciated by my audience of 2 and 3 year olds.
on 23 March 2016
It took a few days bwfore we ( mum and toddler) liked this book. Irs now a favorite. Its all about rhythm and repetition which are both good for speech development. Graphics are really nice, clear and bright.
on 17 November 2013
I LOVE THIS BOOK! I would even go so far as to say this is the BEST book I have ever bought for my kids (and I've bought a lot!).

But more importantly so does my 18 month old son - it's been his favourite since his 1st birthday. His eyes light up whenever he sees this book. We take it everywhere and he never tires from it.

The thing about this book is that it's a story, but for babies. Perfect for when your little one only has enough attention span for a few words at time, but wants something more interesting than the usual baby book "cat. dog. duck. ball..... etc etc yawn!".

The 'plot' is all about a toddler and his duck (and Mummy!) taking a trip to the beach. They meet lots of friends along the way and have a pretty exciting day out. The words themselves are sounds, written with such wonderful rhythm as to capture the heart and mind of any baby.

And the illustrations are lovely and bright and big - perfect for this age group.

To explain exactly what you're getting, here's a quote -

Page 1. " Toddle. Waddle."
Page 2. "Flip flop. Toddle. Waddle"
Page 3. "Hurry scurry. Flip flop. Toddle. Waddle"

Then further in to the story there's something along the lines of "Boing boing, puff puff, roly poly, crunch munch, slurp slurp, chitter chatter, helter skelter, ping pong, see saw, snip snap........"

This really is a very, very wonderful book for your under 2 year old. Older toddlers will enjoy it if they already know it, but perhaps not as a new introduction.

The only downside is that Julia and Nick don't seem to have produced anything else which comes close to this standard. In fact I really can't find any other single book which is so perfect for the under two.
on 8 November 2014
A great story that you'll never tire of reading. Do what we do (my daughter and me) and get to the page where the group of a baby (toddle), a duck (waddle), mummy (wearing flip flops) et al, and then get to the beach where a chaotic scene of rhyming on-ah-mah-ta-pea-ick (I can't spell the word properly) words emerges - you shout "stop" and have a good giggle. Too much information. Key point is that this is a great tale and in board version is better than paperback. Enjoy.
on 30 November 2011
The basic idea is simple, start off with two words which rhyme, and then add two more, and two more and so on. Such rhyme and repetition had my two year old instantly hooked and after a few days I found she was able to join in. After a couple of weeks, she knew the whole book off by heart. Well done, once more, Julia Donaldson!

Nick Sharratt's illustrations are, as ever, wonderful.

This really is ab fab, super duper, tip tip, toddle waddle!
on 14 April 2014
What I've loved about this book is listening to both my kids trying to copy what we say as we read each line, when they've just started to talk and form words not just sounds, this is adorable, my little boy used to struggle with words, and the way he said Hurry Scurry was so cute. And because its easy to learn the book because it is so simple it's a great one for them to start reading and becoming familiar with letters/phonics
on 13 January 2011
This is the first book that my 11 month old has brought to me to read to him over and over and over again. He loves the rhymes and the colourful pictures.
on 24 January 2016
Best book for interaction. The rhythmic flow is fantastic for engaging little minds. I start my 2 year old off with the first word on each page & she finishes the rest.
Julia Donaldon is amazing. Highly recommended