Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 April 2017
A firm favourite in this house... 'Uh oh, here comes trouble'
on 16 January 2014
I love the illustrations for this book and so does my toddler daughter. The story is fun but at the same time I feel a tad uncomfortable with reading it because there is a lot of 'go away' and 'you're nothing but a nuisance' and other rather negative language. The crocodile wants to play with the other animals but they don't want him to join them and tell him to leave them alone, in various ways. The crocodile then discovers another crocodile and they become friends. My daughter is only young and enjoys it at face value but I can't help but feel that it could give a message that you can only play with those that are like you, as well as teaching hostility with the language used. Maybe I am reading into it too deeply but I won't be adding this to our regular-reading collection.
on 15 April 2012
Alison: [...]

Solomon wants to play, but instead he ends up annoying the other animals. Solomon is sad. But then he starts to hear the other animals shouting, and this time it isn't at him. Has Solomon found the perfect friend? And what will the other animals think of that?

This is a truly lovely picture book; the pictures are very simple but tell the story so well. The story is also very simple, told in very short sentences. This makes it perfect for very young children, yet I had a class full of 12 year olds entranced when this was read to them. The fact that Solomon causes trouble and doesn't make any apologies for it is very appealing to children of all ages. This doesn't have a moral message in the same way that some books aimed at children do, but it doesn't suffer for that and in some ways this approach is quite refreshing.

Verdict: Simple and attractive kids of all ages will love it.
on 5 August 2013
My two year old son absolutely adores this story book! He knows it almost off by heart and we read it every night before bedtime. He always has a giggle when we read it with him, and as a parent I like the fact that this story still has a sense of fun and cheekiness. It has helped introduce the idea of friendship and he enjoys relating the story to his own friendships. I would recommend this book to any child - the pictures are lovely and would be enjoyed by a baby.
Walking along the river bank, Solomon Crocodile tries to get up to all sorts of mischief until the other animals stop him. Its colourful, it's fun and it is ideal reading material for the young reader to get a "snappy" taste of the fun that they will have in future years after learning to read. Add to this a great plot, some fun characters as well as a new friend for Solomon and the reader really will learn that the best things come in twos. Great fun all in and a title that adults will love to read as much as children.
on 9 September 2014
I really like this story, and most importantly, so does my 4yr old and 2yr old. The illustrations are nice and the story is simple but enjoyable.
Solomon the crocodile is very cheeky and likes to get up to mischief. Unfortunately for him, the other animals find this annoying and get quite cross with him. Until he finds a new friend and then there's double trouble!
I think that the point of this story is to tell children that no matter who you are or how you may act, there's always going to be someone out there to be friends with you. This story was good for me to read to my 4yr old because he's just started infant school and didn't know anyone. In fact, I've just bought a second book as a gift for someone else's child.
on 18 April 2012
My Little boy (aged 2) LOVES this book. It has lovely pictures and you have the chance to make the characters come alive when reading it. A must for every kids bookshelf. :)
on 28 October 2013
My grandson got this book out of the library and didn't want to return it, so I bought him his own copy! Good value & very quick delivery. One very happy little boy!
on 1 January 2013
We read this book every night before bed, my son (3yo) loves it so much, he knows it word for word. The story is fun and encourages interaction.
on 1 November 2011
Absolutely gorgeous book. Really lovely pictures and great story. Bought for my 2 year old nephew who loves crocodiles. He loves it :o)