on 7 December 2001
The colours are garish, and the words simplistic, and yet it's one of the books my 2 year old has asked for and loved since he was 6 months old. The repetitions and the rhythyms you find your voice drifting into make this a great "last book at bedtime". We read it most nights. As he got older, my son loved spotting the mouse on every colour drawing, but as a tiny baby he just seemed soothed by the word patterns.
A great part of our bedtime routine, despite my initial reservations.
VINE VOICEon 6 March 2007
This is a lovely little book. Baby bunny sits in bed in the "great green room" and says goodnight to all the things that are in it, and visible out of the window - the red balloon, the kittens, the teddy bears in the picture on the wall, the stars, the moon, etc. The pictures alternate between brightly coloured (the green room is really, really green) and black and white, and the text is rhythmic and soothing. Ideal for 12 - 30 months. (Or tired mothers after a long day at work.)
Postscript: having now read this to 3 children over a number of years, I would recommend it as one of the items you should purchase if you are expecting a baby. Each child I have read it to has loved it. My middle son had rather delayed speech and I noticed that at 2 he was starting to come out with the words of this book - presumably because they are simple and rhythmic and very memorable. A really good book. (Plus of course though this is entirely immoral it is a nice short bed-time book if you are knackered.)
This is a book that I read every night to my children when they were young. For years, I could not quite put my finger on its appeal. Finally, it clicked one day. There is a cadence to the story that is like a mediation mantra, quietly and gently calming you and your child down. In addition, the book's text and illustrations are matched in away that it is natural to point out the words and pictures to your child, and for them to do the same as they grow older. This means that you are also starting to teach reading in natural, relaxed way.
In addition, we all tend to see the glass as half empty rather than as half full. Goodnight Moon encourages a sense of gratitude for whatever is around us. That is a profound and wonderful lesson for everyone to have.
Finally, children are fascinated by how another child's room might look. So you also help them to understand the differences among families. How many other books do you know that accomplish so much?
Best of all, you and your children (and grandchildren, perhaps) will have wonderful memories to share. That's fantastic!
Enjoy!
on 5 December 2005
My son adores this book as he has realised that each page the moon is shown, it is slowing rising across the window; just like it does in real life. Also each page the clock gets 10 minutes later. The last page is very cleverly drawn, a beautifully well lit page. Fabulous
on 21 March 2008
I tossed this rather ugly little book aside when it was given to me for my 6 month old. The pictures seemed very old fashioned and cheap - only some in colour - and it got progressively dingy. Plus the rhyme was witless.

When I moved house, this tumbled out of the books I brought with me, and I was ready to toss it aside again. But I just happened to read it to my daughter and found she was totally engrossed - she was now FOURTEEN months old. The following day, she woke in the middle of the night, screaming and impossible to settle. This was a very rare occurrence, and I wasn't sure what to do, but I remembered she'd been interested in Goodnight Moon the day before and read it to her in a low light. She stopped screaming instantly, and was lulled by the words and by focusing on the dwindling light in the book. Since then, every single time I've read it to her, it has soothed her, when she's been ill, upset, grumpy from lack of sleep or hyperactive. It is some kind of witchcraft, I tell you!

Not as sophisticated, funny or beautiful as ANY of her other books, nevertheless, this is maybe the most important baby book I own. I don't know what's in it that does the trick, but it works. I am also a convert - I find the rhymes and pictures beguiling now.
on 29 January 2006
I agree with the reader from Leeds who initially disliked this book, but came to see the error of his/her ways. I first read it to my daughter when she was about 6 months old and I thought it was a big disappointment. Garish green and orange colours and a pretty feeble rhyme (including the word "mush" just to rhyme with "brush"). And then. . . then I realised that my daughter loved it! She loved looking out for the little mouse on every page, she loved the soothing repetition of the simple rhymes, and she loved the way the little rabbit is squirming around in his bed, looking at everything in the room and getting more and more sleepy. And I began to love it too, especially the way the room gets darker and darker and the stars and the fire light and the windows of the dolls' house get brighter and brighter. It is pretty much a perfect final bedtime story - really peaceful and soothing. We read it almost every night now, and then go round our own room, saying goodnight to everything. Lovely!
on 30 September 2006
One of my niece's favourite books. Its a soothing book that gets her in a calm mood before bedtime. She loves to point out all the various creatures and objects in the book and asks for the "old lady whsipering hush" part to be read over and over.

Terrific bedtime reading.
on 24 January 2003
An ideal book for sleeptime. My 3 year old son adores this book. We certainly read it each night. I have memorised the complete book! Little bunny and the house get ready for sleep. It ends with bunny in bed with all the lights off. Its adorable. Highly recommended.
on 12 December 2005
The book looks great - but my son and I were very disappointed to find that the nightlight has a US plug fitting - not for use in the UK!! Would have been helpful to have seen this information in the prduct details...
on 17 September 2015
This is the first time I have read this story and I had head such good reviews about it I bought it for my Grandson. He seems to like it and asked for it again so from his point of view it is good. I am not sure about the change from colour to black and white but he did not seem to mind .I am disappointed in the colour as the red balloon in the story is orange and as my Grandson is learning his colours this is important .