on 27 April 2017
I actually really enjoyed this book and raced through to get to the end. The denouement was predictable by the end but unlike many of the other reviewers, I felt it still caught my attention and whilst it wasn't the grand theatrical twist of a finale, it fitted the novel well. I will certainly pick up another of Kate Morton's books. I read on my commute to work and before bed and I found this just the ticket - immersing oneself in the romanticism of a crumbling stately pile, secrets galore and a likeable protagonist.
on 4 July 2011
I have loved the novels by Kate Morton so far (The House at Riverton &The Forgotten Garden)...but find it hard to believe this one is her latest. Why? Here goes:

#1 - too long
#2 - too many words (not the same thing as #1)
#3 - undeveloped characters/stereotypical characters
#4 - sadly lacking in editorial help
#5 - really boring, a word I only allow myself to use in a review if I can say why...

I really think this has the feel of a first novel - the one from the writer's drawer that maybe should have stayed there. I say this because the previous two novels were so polished, so narrative-led and well-crafted. This seems to be a problem with modern publishing...some way down the line in an author's output either the editors stop thinking they need to edit or they believe it OK to drop an earlier piece of work on an unsuspecting readership who naively expect new books to be better books. So longest is not necessarily best.

For Kate Morton I do feel very sad to have written this review. But I really tried to get 'into' your book, Kate. I considered it might be a title to leave on the bookshelf for another time, maybe an autumnal read. But then I just lazily read the ending, some parts in the middle and felt the whole author-reader relationship just did not mature in this book.

Sorry.
I really loved both of Kate Morton's previous novels and was very keen to read The Distant Hours. Although I found it quite a slow read, by the end I was racing through it and loving all the twists and turns in the plot.

This is a dual time narrative book, set in 1992 and 1941. Kate Morton has done an excellent job in weaving together the strands of the story, and not confusing the reader, despite the moves in time in the story in the past. I did flick back through the book on a few occasions, but that was because I was keen to understand the links between all the threads.

This book has a slightly menacing castle and three sisters at its core, with a modern day heroine/investigator to help the reader link the past and present together. It would be an excellent book group read as I think there is a lot to discuss with this book - I only wish I knew somebody else who had read it!

It lost a mark with me for the slowness, particularly early on, but I would have liked to have given it 4.5 stars on here as, by the end, I was absolutely loving it.
on 17 March 2016
s au

ughter's dream

The story line was interesting, but the over complicated style detracted from it. There were too many time changes, too many points of view. Often the story got bogged down in over written description. Still I kept reading it!

When Edie seeks to understand her mother Meredit
on 19 August 2017
Disappointing . I loved Kate Mortons other three books but this was much too long and nothing really happens in the first 400 pages! Glimpses of her usual fantastic writing but that's it.
on 10 May 2017
Very enjoyable read this is a new novelist for me but I shall look out for her in future with interest
on 21 March 2017
I agree with other reviewers, this book was far too long. Full of unnecessary descriptions that led nowhere and not really relevant to the plot. I have read a few of Kate morton's books and really enjoyed them, but I'm sad to say I couldn't wait for this one to end. Shame!
on 2 March 2017
A lovely story, bit sad too. How fate changes people's lives, the strong bonds between family members, what might have been.......
on 3 September 2017
I really enjoyed this book.
on 21 September 2017
I love Kate Morton and enjoyed this book but at times thought it a bit drawn out. However it did not spoil my enjoyment and I loved the twists and turns.