Customer reviews

Cave Baby
Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEHALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon 10 August 2010
Julia Donaldson has been busy lately, with both this and "Zog" out at almost the same time. The illustrations are by the wonderful Emily Gravett, which gives a slightly different feel to her work than usual. Cave Baby lives in his cave, with his parents who create wondeful paintings on the walls. When Cave Baby gets hold of the paint pots, his parents are cross at the mess he makes. That night a mammoth comes and takes Cave Baby away. At first, Cave Baby is afraid, but then they go to the mammoths cave and he is allowed to paint all he wants, before mammoth takes him back home - after playtime is over. The story is quite simple and celebrates the creativity of babies in all their joyous messy ways! Great book, lovely story and beautiful illustrations.
on 27 January 2016
Bought this book for my class as part of our Julia Donaldson topic as I wanted a book they were not familiar with. It's just as brilliant as all the rest and teamed up with the online song you can find with the author and her husband singing it really captured my children's imagination.
VINE VOICEon 12 September 2010
This book is just wonderful. Our five year old granddaughter has been going to see cave drawings since she was a baby!! Hence, she loved it as did her Mum and Dad!!

The words so descriptive and funny and the illustrations wonderful and the difference between the dark and bright pages underline the story to a great extent.

Well done to both the Author and Illustrator - books by both have been bought in the past and this book is up there with the best of them.

Recommdation is given unreservedly.
on 27 March 2018
Lovely book - my son loves it. It's the second copy I've bought as the last one got ripped. Wouldn't be without it.
on 16 November 2011
I love the message in this book that it is good to be creative. When the mother scrubs out the cave baby's additions to her paintings my heart breaks, but he gets his chance to shine when the mammoth takes him to decorate his cave with his colourful paintings. It is a good message to children and parents alike (unless you paranoid your kids will start painting on your walls!). Emily Gravett's illustrations re wonderful as usual. However, I think I might love this book more than them as it hasn't been requested that often but I am hoping it will grow on them.
on 6 August 2017
A great addition to our ever growing Julia Donaldson collection. Simple story with lovely illustrations. Quite different from some of her other books but still uses the popular rhyming.
My daughter (2.5 years) very much enjoys it.
on 9 December 2014
Julia Donaldson in my humble opinion is one of the best children authors around today. My kids love me reading her books to them and looking at the pictures and now they are older love reading them themselves, they are funny and entertaining, the illustrations alone are so wonderful.
on 2 January 2017
Delightful book with charming illustrations - quite magical for a young child and her adult!
on 14 October 2017
The child loved the book and the audio version as well. Good purchase.
on 27 November 2017