on 2 June 2015
I have read all the Cazalet books and thoroughly enjoyed them. I remember the TV production a few years ago, and had always wanted to read the books. I was not disappointed.
on 6 June 2014
I have read all of the books in this series and enjoyed every moment of reading, following the family members and their struggles.
It is a saga which did not date at all.
on 18 January 2014
I read the other 4 books in this saga and I absolutely love them. All Change is coming up to my expectations - I wish that Elizabeth Jane Howard could keep on writing them!!
on 16 January 2014
A very good read capturing accurately the post war period in this country.
It was interesting to follow the family,catching up with characters from the previous books.
on 13 July 2014
Absolutely loved all five books. Brilliant reads, Sad I've finished them all and obviously will not be any more due to the sad death of the author. Thoroughly recommended.
on 10 June 2014
I have read all 5 of the Cazalet Chronicles and loved them all. I am so sad that Elizabeth Jane Howard has died, would love her to go on writing great books for ever......
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This, the final book in the Cazalet Chronicles, starts in 1956. Duchy, the matriarch, has died and the Cazalet family gathers at Home Place, the family home, scene of so many idyllic holiday and celebrations. They have to decide what is to become of the house, and with a change in family fortunes, it is not going to be easy. It is a long and rambling book filled with so many characters I had great difficulty keeping track of them all. I have read the four earlier books in this series, albeit many years ago, but I soon got into a real muddle; my advice would be to leave this book until you've read the other four, in sequence - I'm sure you will get more out of the story as a whole. A family tree at the beginning would have helped.

I must admit my own feeling about this is that, although a recently written book, it feels dated and I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped. It's all a little too "jolly hockey sticks" and ripping yarns for me; the writing is still as good as ever, so maybe I've just grown out of this particular series, as I know my taste in books has changed over the years. I did not feel as connected to the characters as I did when I read the four earlier books, so maybe this is down to the changes I have gone through. I'm sure I will be shouted down by die-hard E J Howard fans for daring to suggest that a fifth book wasn't needed....
55 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 December 2013
Having loved the other Cazalet novels I was looking forward to this one and it didn't disappoint me. It was liking coming home to friends and family after a long absence.
on 29 January 2014
I have been waiting for this book for a long time, having read the first four volumes. It picked up where the last one left off, was very easy to get into and I loved it.
on 12 August 2014
A good 'wind-up' to the series, but I had to re-read the first 4 books so as to re-acquaint myself with the characters, and this new one didn't grab me in the same way.