Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Paloma Faith Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 12 October 2017
This book is pretty much all you need to know in order to pass CELTA. It's well written and easy to follow.
on 13 February 2012
The Video which comes with the book, is really educative. Is easy to use, has short chapters, so good if you don't have much time to spend to study
on 14 May 2013
Before attending my CELTA course, it was recommended that I purchase this book to do further reading regarding my CELTA training.

Prompt delivery and book came brand new unused with a CD of a live lesson, broken down into sections.
on 21 November 2011
Having just finished a CELTA course and being on my way to my first TEFL job abroad, I have to say I love Learning Teaching. Invaluable ideas for class, a wealth of experience from the author (who's obviously a fantastic teacher himself) and a comprehensive guide to the basics of being a decent EFL teacher. Whether you're thinking of doing a CELTA (or a similarly intensive TEFL course, such as the TESOL) or want to head out to teach with only an internet TEFL or for the British council, this textbook is a must have as far as I can see. Helped me through a great deal of assignments on the CELTA and will be by my side whenever I'm lesson planning in country. Top class.
on 9 April 2017
Perfect for my course
on 20 November 2011
If you're looking for a book to get you into the wonderful world of TEFL teaching, this is a very good place to start. It covers all the basics, and has enough detail that seasoned teachers can still get use from it. For years, along with Jeremy Harmer's book, it has been well known as an authoritative text on teaching English, and for good reason. However, unlike Harmer's book, it is surprisingly difficult to find in High Street bookshops. So without being able to see inside both, how do you choose which one to buy?

Personally, I prefer Scrivener because the page layout isn't as dense as in Harmer. The font is a little lighter/thinner, and the paragraphs seem shorter, and to me, this makes the information in the book seem easier to absorb. I feel able to dip into Scrivener and pick out information quickly. I realise this is a bit of a flimsy reason to recommend this book, but when you're faced with having to choose one of the TEFL methodology staples and you can't see inside (unless the publishers enable this on Amazon, or you're lucky enough to find a High Street bookshop that has both Scrivener and Harmer in stock), I think this is worth knowing. Both books have excellent content, but I found Scrivener a pleasure to read. And that's basically what you want in a book, isn't it?
11 Comment| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 June 2017
A really informative and interesting book for English language teaching. If you have just come into teaching you will be glad to have a copy of this book so that you can refer to the specific sections to inform your teaching. Even experienced teachers will find it a useful. The book is thorough and provides clear suggestions and insights into making your English Language lessons effective. The DVD is very useful and serves to demonstrate key parts covered in the book in a classroom setting.
on 2 January 2017
Needed it for my CELTA course, was okay, helpful for the assignment as you need to quote authors etc.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 17 May 2014
Jim Scrivener’s “Learning Teaching” is an excellent introductory guide to teaching English as a foreign language that achieves what many text books find so difficult: it can be read “cover to cover” without getting dull or dry; and it can be used as a reference book for ideas and examples. Scrivener’s tone is supportive - you get the sense that if you asked him about a problem you were having, he would begin with a comforting “ah, yes, that can be difficult ...” before coming up with some ideas to help. This is important because it allows him to avoid being prescriptive and gives space for the readers’ own choices and preferences.

The layout is logical and the text easy to follow. The world of English Language Teaching is rife with TLAs (three letter acronyms) and yet somehow he manages to make this bewildering range of terms seem natural and you do understand what he is talking about at all times. Best of all, it appears to be based on real experience rather than some theoretical ideal class who respond in just they way you would want them to in class.

Two very minor gripes - towards the end he switches from giving the answers to tasks from the more helpful “in text” to the less helpful “at the end of the book” for no discernable reason. I also found a couple of clear typographical errors which is a bit naughty for a book on English language (regrettably, I didn’t note the exact references but they were in the first couple of chapters).

The accompanying DVD is helpful with some useful resources, although there are books that are more dedicated to providing resources and these are more by way of example. Useful nevertheless.

The book will certainly be a great help to anyone studying TEFL (see what I mean about the acronyms?) but even more useful as preparation reading to read before embarking on study. It’s a widely recommended book by courses including CELTA - it’s not hard to see why.
on 12 September 2011
I'm really very pleased that I bought this book! I'm taking my first steps on the language-teaching-path, and the book really helped me relax. I now feel that I have everything at hand to prepare a good lesson, and that only in this one book. Scrivener's way of approaching the job of a teacher appeals to me a lot: "one who carries on his education in public". Scrivener emphasises just that through the whole book: don't feel too pressured, learn from your experiences! Apart from loads of material and ideas, audiovisual examples etc.: I could recommend it to anyone who wants to teach English!