on 26 August 2016
Some really good recipes here, looking for economy items and ways to life on a budget, it full of incidental advice as well as good plain food. AND - surprisingly enough some of the people who sent in recipes I love this fact. Can't wait to make up some of these recipes - and the fact that there will be little waste - all about saving money with a family. I LOVE it! Fabulous buy. I also brought the other one and yes they have different recipes.
2 people found this helpful
on 27 March 2018
This is an interesting book for insight into wartime recipies.
on 22 January 2014
An interesting little book with lots of reproduced recipes and ideas. Not sure many would be very practical today but nevertheless an interesting addition to your bookshelf if you are interested in how Britain survived WW2 on coupons and limited resources.
on 17 July 2017
A very good book detailing the make do culture and using the resources available to feed you in desperate times. This makes a valuable addition to the modern kitchen just as the articles were back in the 1940s.
on 10 November 2015
Brill
on 2 August 2017
Very interesting practically and historically
on 12 February 2015
Shows how lucky we are
on 17 June 2013
I ordered this for my wife who collects all kinds of recipe books. They must be ok cos I'm Still alive and kicking!
on 13 December 2012
So many ideas n odd combinations that work. Glad I can read about it rather than having to be that inventive
on 3 May 2010
My Grand mother had an original volume of this cook book. Sadly on her death in 1976 they were disposed of and became lost.

Not only was there a certain nostalgia value in obtaining this volume and its companion fascimle. In these times of austerity the recipes remain relevant today for those of us on very restricted budgets. As a proffesional Chef its amazing how much of modern dishes classified as traditional were created during the rationing period (1940-1958)
5 people found this helpful