• Ash

1,049
Ash
Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 October 2017
Good last novel from James Herbert, feels almost like greatest hits compilation as it has many themes of Herbert's previous novels ( Packs of ferocious animals, deranged maniacs, supernatural forces and of course the return of Ash, to name but a few. ). Blending fact with fiction, this was Herbert at his most playful ( even incorporating a Rats novel in joke )and his supporting cast of both fictional and real characters gives this novel a real sense of blockbuster scale. This isn't by any means one of his greatest works, the almost relentless action of the second half losses much of the tightly plotted tension of some of his previous books, though if you've read and enjoyed The Fog, The Dark, Domain or The Ghosts of Sleath then you'll be on familiar ground of Herbert working on a broad canvas. Worth a read if for no other reason than one last scene involving a hoard of rats, what more fitting subject for this great authors final book.
on 14 November 2017
Best ever written by this author, unfortunately the last before his death.I've read them all, over the years, this the only one I have read more than once
on 20 September 2017
Slightly different from the usual story line from this author, but truly gripping and difficult to put down once into the story.
on 15 September 2017
I am never disappointed with a Herbert book and this one was a great read !!!

You won't be disappointed
on 26 July 2013
A dismal epitaph for a great horror writer. Too much going on in a over the top storyline. This could have been so much better, as the initial idea is quite good.
on 13 October 2012
One of the most boring books I have ever read. Didn't bother finishing it
on 24 May 2017
Very long book but quite exciting
on 1 May 2017
Always surpasses your expectations
on 19 November 2012
Very disappointing. Herbert was one of my favourite authors during my formative years and certainly helped kindle (no pun intended) my passion for good supernatural stories. However, this latest offering got increasingly bonkers by the page. Every single horror element was thrown in until it felt like an overblown and laughable circus house of horrors. The characters and dialogue were dreadful and by the time I finished the tale I was very suprised not to see a large 'Sponsored by Maglite, the brightest, lightest most useful torch ever invented' in a strap line across the cover - it was mentioned in nearly every page when it was dark, from the woods, to the dungeon, to the black outs. Nothing subtle about THAT advertising.
on 18 November 2012
Save your money, I'm sorry to say this really is a terrible book and I cannot believe James Herbert wrote it, poor storyline and terrible characters. As previously stated by other reviewers the characters are so bad you actually don't care about them at all, they have no depth and are quite unpleasant. The story attempts to cram so much into it that it becomes plain stupid, so many elements e:g politics, feral cats, demons etc but no explanation or outcome to my knowledge, I admit I bought this book on release I am still attempting to finish it all these months later!! I read about 2 pages a week it is so bad and it's a chore, I have admitted defeat I will not finish it, I will continue with my latest John Connolly book. If you want to read a James Herbert book, buy an old one like Rats or Domain much much better this one really is appalling.