Customer reviews

on 11 April 2016
It is good, but not great. My biggest frustration comes from the author not bothering to use units in his worked examples. This makes them difficult to follow as you're just looking at clumps of numbers rather than seeing the units and gaining a 'feeling' for what is going on.

My best example of this comes from WE 11.7 - Driven Pile in Sand. I cannot for the life of me figure out what the '0.5' in his calculations represents. Had units been included I could've understood where it came from, instead I am left here now quite annoyed.

If it wasn't for this problem the book would have received 4 or 5 stars.
on 23 January 2016
Exellent book, all subjects explained very clearly and in a complete manner. I appreciate the explenations of phisical phenomena in soil that precede every mathematical elaboration, making the subjects linear and organic. Many examples extremely useful for the comprehension of the matters at the end of every chapter. I used other two books at university but this one has become my reference book.
on 22 December 2013
If you are into engineering geology of sorts you will enjoy this book. Lots of maths to get your head around but its laid out in an easy to read style.
on 29 September 2013
I'm an engineering geologist and use this book frequently. This provides excellent reference material, and the worked examples are also very useful. An abundance of schematics, including stress vs. strain curves for different test methods & results - these provide much better visualization for those that struggle with various geotechnical behaviours of soils
on 12 June 2016
Very Pleased
on 4 April 2013
I teach soil mechanics at HND level for civil engineers and this is the text book we use, by far the best of all those I have reviewed.
on 7 March 2014
i needed this book as i am in final year studying geotechnics or soil mechanics. it is helpful book as it has alot of worked examples regarding the topic at the end of each chapter. it covers around 15 chapters up untill foundations etc. i strongly recommend this book. it will be certainly enough to get you high grade in exam plus your hard work.
on 10 July 2014
Excellent reference for any structures engineer dealing with foundations and soil behaviour. There are numerous worked examples detailing real life design scenarios, coupled with stories of past failures. The worked examples are really what set this book beyond typical soil mechanics textbools that are more theory based.
on 6 December 2013
I bought this prior to starting my geotechnical masters. Was invaluable for my learning and I use it all the time in my job as a Geotechnical Engineer now.
on 3 July 2014