Customer reviews

on 20 December 2016
I was very interested by the sad but incredible case of Mr Litvinenko, which, at the time, was plastered all over the internet and newspapers and I wanted to find out more about the complex backstory which, at first glance looks more at home in a Bond movie or some sort of spy novel than real life. It IS very complex and at times, rather strange and it looks like it came from pathological liars (which it was possibly the case). It's also quite 'dry' I'm some places, which almost made me put the book down and leave it. But I'm very glad that I didn't do that and gave it a chance. It's something of a biography of Mr Litvinenko's life but it's very well written by Martin Sixsmith and contains photos of Mr Litvinenko right up until his untimely death. I'm trying not to spoil anything for others who might want to read this book but it does seem to point the finger of blame to certain people. I think that this book was out before the official inquiry into his death but for me, it was definitely well worth buying and I read it from cover to cover. It's a incredible story about the way things are done if you get on the wrong side of people...it's like that I almost don't want to believe that such things actually happen in today's world but obviously I am probably naive about such things.
As for the delivery, it was quick and well-packaged, but I didn't realise that it would be an ex-library copy; otherwise I would have bought the book from a different seller. Having said that, the book was in excellent condition (probably because of it being an ex-library book, it had a plastic cover), with no markings or pages missing.
2 people found this helpful
on 11 March 2014
Martin Sixsmith has written this book based on a deep understanding of Russia, its politics and its people. It is frightening when you realise that modern day Russia is a leopard that has not changed its spots, and one wonders where it is going in the near future. The book fows well and I was riveted by the convoluted trail leading to Litvinenko's murder.
on 7 April 2018
excellent detailed research , a compelling read
on 23 May 2017
A very interesting read - chilling and brutal
on 25 April 2015
Absolutely brilliant. Couldn't put this down and it really made me think. Kept telling everyone bits from the book as well
on 5 November 2017
Very good read like the way Martin Sixsmith writes very easy read
on 27 March 2016
Fascinating story, goo read.
on 3 December 2010
I found Sixsmith's book a gripping read and consider that the research he undertook has made this book such a good read. Particulary enjoyed the chapters dealing with his visits to Russia to further his research and also his opening chapters. In addition, the relatively short chapters made the book accessible and helped to keep the story flowing. This is the second Sixsmith book I have read and looking forward to his next.
One person found this helpful
on 21 February 2017
exciting & informative.
on 9 January 2015
Arrived with the plastic sleeve slightly damaged. Good value though