on 9 November 2012
This book is detailed and factual about the nuclear situation, offering many (up-to-date) insightful perspectives and statistics. However the reason I have only given it 1 star is the underlying bitterness the authors express which really slows the book down and discredits their content. This book is jumping on the anti-nuclear bandwagon.
Also, there is an awful lot of 'green bashing' in the book and scepticism about climate change which is not based on any science, just the obvious link between how the climate change agenda has been used by the 'carbon free' nuclear industry to increase the expansion of the industry.
I also found the unbalanced and frankly out of place criticism about renewables exaggerated, unhelpful and inaccurate, which de-legitimises the rest of the content of the book.
The final straw for me when reading this book was that it offers absolutely no solutions to the impending energy crisis, taking a "scatter gun" approach to almost everyone and their dog. I quote (page 218, concluding chapter) "there is an extremely important alternative solution to energy shortages: Use less of it and make better use of that which we do have". Well thanks for the advice Einstein(s). I'll bear that in mind in 2014 when I'm sitting reading your second edition in the dark, or I could use it for fuel for the fire.