on 10 October 2015
This book is an absolute must for any psychology undergraduate. Stephen Jones takes a difficult subject and makes it simple, for anyone like myself who isn't the best at maths this book is the book for you, Stephen Jones avoids weighing down the book with technical jargon and mathematics by teaching the subject in plain English. The chapters are short and very readable unlike most other books on statistics and gets to the point quickly and shows how statistics are used real psychological research which gives you a much deeper understanding of the subject. I was honestly surprised how much I enjoyed reading this book on statistics it was more like a story book taking you through the development of statistics than one of those dry, boring academic books that are a labour to read. I would definitively recommend this book to anyone starting a psychology degree, statistics is a scary subject and this book will ease your fears.
on 14 April 2014
I bought this book when studying for my Psychology undergraduate degree to help me understand what I thought to be the more complex side of Psychology. Having not had much experience with statistics previous to studying Psychology at university I found this book to be invaluable in my studies. The information in this book is presented in small easy to read chapters with a small summary at the end of each chapter making this a really easy book to understand. Unlike other textbooks I have used this one is written without all the complex jargon usually featured in psychology books. This book was not only helpful in increasing my understanding throughout the year but also when it came to revision. I would 100% recommend this book for anyone looking to study a psychology undergraduate degree, or any other degree which features stats!
on 3 June 2011
This book is really the only book you need for RDA in Psychology. Other books for this module simply do not measure up. Written in a friendly manner, but fully explanatory at the same time. With small quizzes throughout and real life examples, this books makes the seemingly frightening RDA manageable and interesting. If its not a required book for your course it should be! Hope this was helpful, and good luck in your course!
on 27 April 2011
I found this book great as an introduction to understanding the different statistics used in Psychology and would recommend it to anyone studying Psychology. As the title suggests, it is the explanations without the slightly scary equations and set out in a clear and digestible way, with easy to read examples and clear outputs illustrating what to expect from SPSS.
on 21 February 2015
Having been confused by statistics at undergrad this book is a gem at simply describing the basics. It uses really clear everyday examples, is easy to understand, and makes statistics seem less scary and actually helps you to realise it's not all that difficult. This book has been a saviour and I highly recommend!
on 2 April 2014
Such a student-friendly book, it really helped me to understand statistics in my first year, which has benefitted me greatly throughout my degree! The books layout is really clear and easy to follow - especially useful when getting to grips with SPSS. Really recommend.
on 30 September 2012
Bought this last year to help me get over the shock of having to do so much stats! Worked like a charm, and got me through it all with no probs. Now I've started Year Two, I find I'm already dipping into it to help make sense of a lot of the level 2 stuff. Totally recommend it to anyone starting their psych degree (and to hold on to it for Year 2, too!).
on 10 May 2012
This book is definitely a must have for anyone looking to study research and design analysis at university level. It is easy to follow and takes every effort to explain statisical analysis in a non-numerical fashion making it understandable and the examples given, digestable. I would thoroughly recommend it, it has given me confidence in sitting my exams and passing them well!
on 29 April 2012
None of the bulked explanations you find in the larger statistics books. Especially useful when trying to work my way through the tests on SPSS giving a concise explanation of how the tests work without the nasty equations.
on 15 March 2011
I honestly counldn't of got through my first year of psychology without this book, its been so helpful explaining statistics by using everyday examples. Definitely a must have book for all psychology students!