Customer reviews

on 21 October 2017
Bought to help with my studies
on 18 October 2017
Such a great book. Fast delivery
on 19 October 2017
Excellent resource
on 7 October 2010
I have just started a post grad in Social Work having had no background in theories. Similarly as the reviewer above, my lecturer too couldn't recommend this book enough (along with the Blackwell Companion) and I have to say that it is simply and wonderfully written and gives excellent explanations into such difficult theories/philosophies such as Post MOdernism and the difference between Reflexivity and Reflectivity. Really love Howe! I wish everyone would write like him! He is a joy to read!
on 17 February 2014
I love this book , its gives you the main principles of the theories , the advantages and disadvantages when applyingbto social work practice. Its also good for essays ,as it covers key principles
on 20 June 2014
I'm a Practice Supervisor and this is a great reference toolkit to remind you quickly of most of the theories used with social work practice, thank you Mr Howe! An excellent book indeed.
on 10 September 2012
Similar to another reviewer, I wish everyone would write SW books like Howe. He explains very complex models very simply often in a humorous way.

The title is perfect too, I use this book as a basis for each theory before reading the meatier texts.
on 7 January 2012
I'm a first year Social Work student and found this book very useful when starting my module on the Foundations of Social Work. It gives you a brief but useful overview of certain aspects of the profession and has been a good reference for some of my essays. It's not a book with loads and loads of complex theory or jargon; it's simple and helpful. I would recommend for any first year in their first term of the course but I wouldn't rush out and buy it if you don't fit in to that criteria.
on 18 April 2012
An easy to read book which makes theory easy to understand and apply to practice. This book is Ideal for both students and practitioners to refer to.
This book has been a great help throughout my studies. I have referred to this in nearly all of my assignments and throughout my placements. I would recommend this book to all students. Compact, accessible and great value.
on 25 March 2010
easy to read once i got past the boring introduction. my lecturer couldn't recommend this book highly enough and it was certainly a good resource for this subject.