on 8 May 2016
Now in its fourth edition, and set to become a classic introductory social work text, Neil Thompson's book gives a concise, well-structured and realistic overview of what social work can do at its best, and the obstacles and challenges to good practice. I particularly like the way he debunks the notion of theory-free practice, which leads to the routinisation, proceduralism and micro-management that currently beset all our public services - straining at a gnat and swallowing a camel, as it were. I also like his observation that, while issues of equality and diversity are important, a shallow understanding of both the issues and their wider contexts can lead to tokenistic practice, unwarranted assumptions and a failure to engage with clients as whole people, which can ultimately be very dangerous - I once had to advocate for a client who had both a mental health and a substance use problem, which neither team would take on because "it's not our responsibility", thus compounding his suffering because he had the temerity not to be able to tick the right box. While perhaps not as passionate and idealistic as Mark Doel, I find Thompson's approach provides a healthy dose of realism without betraying the values that make social work, despite its detractors, still a vitally needed profession.
on 25 January 2017
I bought this for my friend as she's trying to go to uni to do social care and she asked em to get this for her and it came in fantastic condition and she says this is the book everyone has told her to read in preparation for her degree
on 28 April 2016
If your studying or working within social work practice this book is a must have , very easy to read and really informative . Hits the nail on the head !
on 28 November 2017
great service and book was great
on 6 July 2017
Well structured and easy to read. I enjoyed reading the book cover to cover and now plan to go back to certain chapters to consolidate my understanding. I enjoyed the exercises at the end of the chapters - made me reflect and think!
on 7 March 2015
This book is truly the foundation on the journey of becoming a social worker. I have used it on all my interviews with unis and I have been given offers on all my 5 choices! Easy to read and comprehend just like you are reading a novel! I would recommend it to both students embarking on the social work profession as well as those who are in their final years.
on 27 July 2016
Great summary for students to gain a basic knowledge for starting a BA or attending an interview.
However slightly pricey.
on 29 December 2012
As with all Neil Thompson books they are a must for social work students, and this one is really easy to understand. It is a really helpful book for tips on social work practice. This book was really helpful to me on placement.
on 6 June 2017
Quick delivery and infomative book
on 14 February 2018
Really useful book for assignment on social work course