Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 June 2009
This is a great follow up to Mastering Arabic. The topics covered are much better (some of the topics in the first book were a bit bizarre for a beginners level book) and more relevant to everyday life The exercises are varied enough to maintain interest as well as increasing the difficulty level throughout each chapter. I have been able to use this book on my own to improve my Arabic, but it could just as easily be used in a class situation. Definitely the best book I've come across so far for studying Arabic alone though. I'm looking forward to Mastering Arabic 3!
on 3 May 2010
I have bought this book and CDs in addition to my normal Arabic studies. I think it is fun and all the exercises are interesting with cartoons, quizzes and pictures which is what I wanted to supplement my other more academic books. There is an English/Arabic glossary at the end but no Arabic/English glossary, (I think it is useful to learn how to find Arabic words and helps learn the alphabet)although the new words are shown at the end of each section so it is fairly easy to find any you are unsure of. I don't know whether it would be detailed enough to learn completely from scratch but for my purpose is fine. I think the book without the CDs would be pointless. Many of the exercises are on the CDs.
on 21 May 2010
This is a follow-up to the authors' "Mastering Arabic" and follows much the same format. It takes you as painlessly as is possible in a book on Arabic grammar to perhaps a low intermediate level. The book is written in a user-friendly mannner, and uses a number of ways (advertisements, newspaper extracts, etc) to make it relevant to the real world, and thereby to maintain the student's interest. I found it very successful in accomplishing this aim. The accompanying audio CDs are, I would say, essential to make the best use of the book.

My only reservation, and hence the four rather than five stars, is that the number of exercises is not sufficient to drill home the points of grammar and vocabulary covered, especially in the later chapters. Most of us would require more practice.

That said, I am looking forward to "Mastering Arabic 3", which would take one to a high intermediate level. The two authors are exceptional teachers.
on 20 November 2009
this book and the cd pack are the best self teaching books I have found. There is very structured learning, modern words and the cds are useful for pronunciation. I have a little arabic language and feel this is the book that will help me on and what is more I am enjoying it. Having bought others and regretted it I really recommend this one.
VINE VOICEon 2 July 2012
The authors should be commended for writing the most painless books on learning arabic. Constant repeatition throught all of their books means that you can make a gradual transition to speaking arabic correctly. Standard arabic, no slang means that iti is suitable for all.
on 2 November 2011
Quite a difficult textbook with lots of vocabulary, all very useful - for example, all the possible different words for "house", "home", "residence" etc. It is amazingly thorough. I would have liked more written exercises (and answers provided) to get me used to new grammar, rather than having to do the same exercises many times. But I admit I am at a disadvantage in studying the book by myself, with no teacher. The CD is great - at least CD No. 1 is: I am not advanced enough yet to listen to CD No. 2. Each chapter ends with an example of both spoken and written Arabic from a distinct region, very helpful indeed.
on 12 December 2013
It would be INFINITELY better if the CD covered the vocab list: as it is it's really hard to learn the vocab, since it doesn't given pronunciation for it either, so you'd better be really certain about how you pronounce all the letters. I'm not - I find it very, very hard.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 December 2012
If your learning the Arabic language, this book is very very helpful. There is plenty of vocabulary included; many activities are included as well, BUT there are a few activities which require the CD, so I suggest you buy the CD too. If your a total beginner then I suggest you start with Mastering Arabic 1, as this book continues from that.
on 8 January 2010
This book successfully builds on the excellent material at level 1 and is the logical step to take for those who wish to reinforce lessons learnt from level 1. I found that these books/CDs are very well supplemented by the more area-focussed books (by the same authors/publishers), for example 'mastering arabic script'. I wonder if level 3 is in the pipeline?! Maybe audio-visual?
on 15 March 2015