on 9 August 2009
I had to buy this book in order to use it for an MA in writing for children I am doing as I knew it wouldn't reach the libraries in time for me to borrow but, now that i have read it, I am very proud to have it on my bookshelf and think it was money very well spent indeed. Mr Bramwell manages to convey complex academic ideas in an entertaining and accessible way. It was a real pleasure to read whilst also proving insightful. The use of Pagan chronotope provides a meaningful home for all of my favourite books - Susan Cooper, John Masefield onwards - in a way that shoving them all into the fantasy sub-genre has never satisfied. You will learn lots and will also come away with a long list of books that are up your street if Cooper etc appeals. When I found this book on a search on the Green Man it felt, and still feels, like a discovered a book just written for me. But if you like books with henges, the Green Man, the magic of the British landscape etc, and you want to know more about them from a literary critical approach then this is the book for you too!