Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 January 2011
We have been borrowing this book from the library, on and off for about 2 years and I finally decided that it is one to keep so have finally bought it.

I started reading this to both my children from about 18months old and they have LOVED it. How do I know this? Because , even when the book is not in sight my children have both repeated the rhythmic and repetitive story to me - it's pretty amazing to hear this from such young children. The simple but repetitive language encourages speech development and it is quiet poetic if you ask me. Additionally, the anticipation as they turn the page (They went to see............?) makes it and avid read for a young child.

My youngest child has always struggled to sit through a book (quite opposite to my eldest) but this book has captivated her.

Another point, are the beautiful illustrations which make this book a visual pleasure. Despite reading it SO many times, it was only recently I studied the pictures and discovered they give the reader a clue of who "Monkey and me" are going to see. I will be interested how long my kids will like this book because it is SO simple it may only hold the attention of a very young reader (under 5 maybe?) but only time will tell on that one and I am prepared to be surprised.
on 2 May 2017
Cute book that really little kids can enjoy. Was the hot favorite for both my boys when they were aged about 10-18 months old
on 28 March 2017
Lovely illustrated, well made board book. Simple but lovely pictures and nice to see some animals that don't get a lot of press in children's books!
on 26 July 2017
For grandchildren
on 31 March 2017
Use more colour... we are trying to appeal to children and they really need fluffing up on the story and pictures
on 24 July 2007
This book is just right for bedtime reading with little ones. It has repetition, a simple storyline and is beautifully illustrated. My son can't coment yet, but I'm sure he will as soon as he's mastered the art of speaking!
on 6 April 2008
This book is beautiful, easy words and simple yet gorgeous illustrations, my 15 month old son loves it especially as his favourite bed-time toy is a monkey who looks similar to the illustrations!! A perfect book for toddlers who love being read to!!
on 23 June 2009
we've borrowed this from the library and, like another reviewer, it's now on the shopping list. My 13 month old is entranced by it, definitely one of themost popular books we've borrowed. I love the fact that the little girl "apes" the animals, and that the animals are a change from the usual dog/ cat/ sheep/ cow.

All i have to do is get this book off the shelf and my son starts squealing with delight. Definitely recommended
on 18 June 2007
Having borrowed this book from our local library and loved it to pieces, we are placing an order for this story as soon as we can.

Both myself and my two childen, aged 2 and 5 love this book. The story is very simple telling the tale of a young girl and her beloved toy monkey visiting the zoo. The language is simple and repetitive and my two children love reciting the words and shouting the animal names as loud as they can. The illustrations are fantastic and very easy on the eye.

My 2 year old loves this book so much that he has been taking to bed with him every night. I recommend this book to anyone who has young children whom I'm sure will love it as much as we do.
on 5 May 2017
Beautifully illustrated. Simple story. This gets bought for all my friends' babies and they all love it.