on 2 February 2014
I am the mother of four adopted African children and always looking for good role models for them. Since it is hard to find books for children in Spanish about black people that have done great things I buy them in UK. This is a great collection of books with some black people that have an impressive life full of courage and hard work. Far from the mostly bad role model presented on TV shows. It gives my children a great push to be who they want to be.
There are a lot of books in Spanish abut adoption, children's stories about multiculturalism, etc... But I just wanted biographies of real black heroes!
on 14 March 2014
A lovely book beautifully and simply written for children. I enjoyed reading this with my 7 year old who was saddened by Mandela's struggle for everyone to be equal. My son is not black but it is a message I hope he will take to heart and act upon. We are all equal, rich, poor, black or white. We all deserve respect. Highly recommended.
on 1 August 2011
I regularly use this book with my Year 6 classes when we complete work on biography / autobiography writing. It is a very child friendly book, which used the first person effectively. It is full of interesting facts and information, which the children find very interesting, especially as most of them have heard about Nelson Mandela in some form. It is well illustrated, with an appropriate level of reading to challenge pupils in Key Stage 2.

The only thing that would improve this book, is if it was available to use with an Interactive Whiteboard in CD-Rom form. This would allow whole class shared reading, with annotations and highlighting of the text, instead of me have to scan the book page by page and then faff with combining the double page spread together.

This is a great book, which I would highly recommend to parents and teachers alike, as something that they can share with their children. You'll also learn something yourself by reading it.
To be honest this title was pretty hard to review as its seen as perhaps one of the most important biographies of the 20th century, the tale of a man of humble birth who stood up for the masses against the few and lived to tell the tale.

As most people are aware, Nelson Mandela is a hero to many and this offering, full of beautiful illustrations brings his story to life for the younger reader. It's simplistic, it helps explains his story and of course its done in such a delicate way that it really is enchanting. A great offering from Macmillan that really will help endear this title to a whole generation demonstrating how morals and beliefs can change the world.
on 26 December 2013
I got a copy for my twins early this year when it was clear that Mandela was not long for this world and I wanted them to be aware of the hugely important role he played.

It's a lovely book and his story is simply told, with bright illustrations.

It's suitable for a more able 7+ reader and of course needs an adult on hand to help explain and discuss the issues it describes.

My children enjoyed it very much and were therefore very interested in the news coverage of Mandela's death and funeral.

Highly recommended book for all young readers interested in history and human rights.
on 12 January 2014
It is a shame to mark this as only 2 stars and I suspect if I had bought the paper version of the book I wouldn't have felt so disappointed by it. The story of Mandela's life is depicted in a way which makes it suitable and engaging for children. However, the extremely poor quality of the text on the Kindle meant that almost every page had large parts of the text which were unreadable due to words not being laid out correctly on the page. On some pages parts of one side of the text were imposed over the top of the other side of the page and it proved impossible to work out what was actually written on either. On other pages there were words missing, as if the whole Kindle book was merely a scanned copy of the original and nobody had even checked whether the whole page was visible on the finished version. Incredibly poor editing (or lack of) - I suggest anyone who wishes to buy this book gets a hard copy to avoid similar disappointment.
on 28 February 2015
Well presented those unreadable in the form of an ebook.
Very disappointing as what was readable seemed very good but words overlapping and all over the page made this a difficult read.
If sorted out I would give this book a much better rating.
Fab illustrations, and seemingly well written.
on 14 December 2013
My nine year old was really interested in the book and read it in one sitting. I also sent a copy to his nine year old cousin and both her and her seven year old brother have also enjoyed it. The pictures make it very accessible to children.
on 14 May 2013
Great illustrations for the children to understand apartheid. Would recommend this for all children to read. An excellent example of an autobiography for children.
on 17 November 2013
I got it from the library for my 7 year old grandson, we read it together and He enjoyed so much I bought him one. He cn now read it to himself