Format: Paperback|Change

Leaving Pope aside, I've tasted a few translations and its a match-up between Lattimore and Lombardo. I love Stanley Lombardo's choppy and fast style. He doesn't try to be all poetic and noble, I mean this in a good way.

Lattimore's is the grandest translation because of the fancy English that isn't embarrassed to be fancy and 'old fashioned' (whatever that means).

I recommend this to all first timers. If you read this translation, then move on to Pope's, then it will take you there!

The way a hologram requires two laser beams to create the image, well Lattimore and Pope are required to create Homer's vision in the mind of the lucky reader!
on 21 September 2014
needed this for uni - absolutely amazing and I cannot stress how amazing lattimores translation is! If you are looking for a good iliad translation i would highly recommend this one! I have tried a wordworth classics one and it was.... very difficult to get into. Lattimore really brings the text alive here - would defo recommend considering the price!
on 4 November 2009
I am a total language Noob, I can hardly spell, I failed English and never studied any other language. I love the story of Troy so I bought this book and I am not disappointed in any way, it's actually quite easy to read and understand. So if like me you are a Noob don't be put off, just give it a try.
on 2 February 1999
Richmond Lattimore brings most people to about as close as they ever wanted to get actually reading Homeric Greek. His version, though perhaps not the best way to get acquainted the Iliad, is the only translation I feel comfortable reading when I need to compare the Iliad's lines. One can still hear the echo of the original poet's voice in this translation.
on 15 April 2011
Naming the translator of the Iliad & Odyssey is a requisite of all catalogues, and a pre-condition of ordering.
[This applies to translations of ALL classics written in a language other than English.]
Please catalogue books accordingly.
Michael Best
on 9 May 2013
I love Richmond Lattimore's translation of The Iliad. It was recommended to me by a Professor of Classics who said is is one of the best translations around and I have to agree. Delighted I could get it for my Kindle!
on 21 January 2016
This is the BUTLER translation, not the LATTIMORE. I already have the Butler. This is so careless, inaccurate, frustrating!!!
on 4 September 2009
Homer's a mixed chap. There are the things which annoy somebody used to modern writing: repetitive description, catalogues of who killed who and who sailed from where, concepts of personal honour which seem perverse. At the same time, some of the battles could be from badly written fantasy novels of today: blood n' guts, gung-ho cries from Greeks and Trojans, (anyone seen 300?).

But then there are moments when one appreciates him for what he is--aside from the Bible, the head of the Western canon. Those moments tend to be when he's comparing bloody battles to startlingly homely scenes of Greek husbandry and countryside. And despite the 'blood n' guts'... poor Hector, poor Andromache, poor Priam. The victims aren't forgotten; Zeus's rule of strength, Athene's hate and Achilles's pride find their balance in the tears of Thetis, the self-deprecating Helen, and the tremendous mourning scenes for Patroklos and Hector.

Overall -- there's dross there, but gold too.
on 5 November 2014
its a translation - still very difficult to read - but that says more about me than Homer
i guess im more simpson than greek
on 10 February 2013
Bought this for a course on Classical Epic while studying abroad at Oxford. Lattimore's translation is by far the best for being accurate to the Greek. At times it is a little challenging to read because it isn't in prose, but this is the way Homer intended it to be perceived. This is a must have in any respectable library!