on 1 September 2017
This book gives an insightful account of modern philosophy of science. I find the author unnecessarily commits himself to scientific realism at early on, without much argument or explanation, only to admit a more eclectic and sophisticated balanced view at the end. The main strength of the book is that it gives a good overview of the core debates.
on 5 October 2017
Excellent introduction to the Theory of Knowledge. Used for instance by the Karolinska Institutet to teach courses on it to Ph.D. students (although they don't probably read the whole thing).
on 16 April 2016
I first read this book when it was the set text on an MA philosophy of science module and found it absolutely fascinating. It's still one of my favourite of the set texts that we worked with on the course. What I especially liked about it is how accessible it is to anyone not familiar with philosophy while at the same time not dumbing down any of the issues and I have enthusiastically recommended it to friends who work in science. I'm returning to buy the Kindle version now in order to re-read and refresh my memory. Definitely one of my all time favourite intros in philosophy.
on 11 April 2016
This book is very focused on modern philosophy of science and gives a broad overview of the major problems encountered by scientists to validate (or refute) their hypothesis. In my view it should be a must read book for every experimentalist scientist.
on 24 November 2012
This book has a very introductory nature so is very useful if it really is the first time you've encountered any philosophy of science. Really helps you to get to grips with the foundations of it. However, if you're using it to go alongside a philosophy of science module it probably won't cover enough of the material to be really useful.