on 19 November 1997
"The Craft of Research" offers researchers practical and clear suggestions for organizing papers. Although somewhat geared for professional writers, it can also be used by high school students writing their first research paper. The authors offer step-by-step formulas for making and evaluating proposed 'claims.' They also include tips that relate to the prior chapter. Another important area covered by Booth, Colomb and Williams is drafting and revision. More clear, step-by-step techniques make this section an important tool for writers. Using their techniques, a writer easily identifies possible problems with arguements or organization. However, the discussion of warrants in "The Craft of Research" is difficult to follow. Since warrants are many times infered but not stated in day-to-day conversations, it is difficult topic to comprehend by novice writers. The authors attempt to explain warrants through examples, clear terms and illustrations. Although the explanation of a warrant (evidence supporting a claim) is successful, the illustrations of warrants is muddied and the logic sometimes hard to comprehend. "The Craft of Research" is an excellent tool for writers of all ages and experience levels. Its guidelines and suggestions, when followed, will produce clearer, cohesive papers and books. Writers should find a spot on the shelf for this book next to 'Miss Kate' (Turabian) as an essential writing and style guide.
on 3 December 2007
People keep telling me that they do not know how to start writing a journal/conference paper or how to start their thesis and I always recommend this book. It was one of the first books I had to read when I started my PhD and I am still thanking the professor who told me to buy this book.

Highly recommended, especially if you are new to research and you are in any of the social sciences, including information systems ;).
We all respect scientists--even budding science students--for their commitment to accuracy and objectivity. Sometimes our strengths are also our weaknesses. Beginning scientists can naively believe that their writing only needs to report the facts, that anything further is bias, sophistry or even dishonesty. This book lays out the path to a better writing style. Readers will learn how to arrange and present their facts and evidence as coherent arguments. As a result, they will better serve their own readers.

The table of contents, outlined below, shows that the authors cover more than putting fingers to keyboard. Introductory chapters discuss the perspective and information needs of readers and how to connect with them. The authors address development of one's own authentic authorial "voice"--a topic often neglected in books about research writing. The next four chapters teach us how to conceptualize a research question, then find relevant and credible sources of information to answer it. The third edition contains a needed revision of the authors' earlier avoidant stance on the credibility of web-based information, containing good guidance for weeding flakey from factual online sources.

Chapter 7, "Making Good Arguments: An Overview," is the keystone chapter and a relatively quick read at eleven pages. It's where to focus when deciding whether to read the rest of the book. The authors define their working vocabulary of arguments, reasons, evidence, claims and warrants. In this and the following four chapters they show us how to use these concepts to present our points and how to acknowledge and respond to positions with which we disagree. They demonstrate how to do this with integrity as well as skill.

The final six chapters address the actual writing of a research report. Much of the advice on planning, drafting and revising is standard and consistent with other writing guides. Some, such as advice on graphical presentation of data, is an overview of information covered more thoroughly in other books (e.g., Tufte's Envisioning Information). But there is also a great deal of guidance on revising and fine-tuning arguments that is unique to these authors and their framework of written arguments. The closing chapter on style will help writers create clear and understandable structure while following their own authorial style. Recognizing they have presented only an introductory measure of what good writers need to know, the authors close with a comprehensive bibliography of readings, both online and in print.

This book, thoughtfully read and put into practice, is as good as a course in professional writing. Read it, underline in it, bend back the page corners, and keep it nearby when you write your next report.

Brief Table of Contents

- 16. Introductions and Conclusions
- 17. Revising Style: Telling Your Story Clearly
V. Some Last Considerations
on 27 March 2009
Booth, Colomb and Williams's book is probably best read by an undergraduate, an inexperienced graduate student, or a junior professional. Nevertheless, I found it useful because my research education was predominantly experiential: an osmosis of 'do this' and 'don't do that' from mentors and supervisors. This book fills in the gaps. The authors instruct us in all the phases of research from the initial stages through to drafting and reviewing. I appreciated the framework as I have never done a formal research course. (Odd for a graduate student I think - it seems economists believe in research 'tools' other than writing and drafting.)

The book has four main sections. Booth, Colomb and Williams introduce by asking What is research? and Why write it up? Second, they proceed to the initial steps of research: research questions, research problems and the nuances of sources. Third, they consider the basics of argumentation: claims, reasons and the problematic notion of 'warrants'. Fourth, they discuss drafting, revision, visual evidence, introductions and conclusions, and style. They provide useful examples and concrete advice; the 'Quick Tips' at the end of each chapter are very good and I will probably quote them to students one day. They write with a humorous and avuncular tone - like someone giving you kindly advice rather than chastising you from on high.

I plan to re-read the book to reinforce the need to discipline myself, to remind myself obey rules I should, and to adopt methods superior to my half-evolved ones. As the authors comment, the book should be accompanied by other guides on style, grammar and editing. I would recommend Strunk and White's The Elements of Style and Cook's Line by Line. For social scientists, McCloskey's Economical Writing serves well. For other non-fiction writers William Zinsser's On Writing Well.
on 1 February 2007
This book lay in my university library untouched for the four years it had been on the shelves I found it completley by accident because I was sick and tired of being given research models and methodology papers that never made any sense but to run through the shredder, several times!!!! This book has to be the ultimate step by step guide to writing any form of research paper or even a two page essay argument why in the world they keep bringing the 150,000 number out I have no idea because every person who has to write a paper or just wants to write papers for fun (if there is such a thing) should have a copy of this book and plus 10 quid isn't exactly going to break the student coffers. :)
Booth, Colomb and Williams know their target audience. Throughout their guide to research, they target comments to the reluctant researcher who has to complete a Masters project in a subject in which they probably have little interest and even less expertise. That's fair enough. It's good to have the rules explained and some attempt made to explain or justify those rules. The result is a book which does spend some time teaching grandmothers to suck eggs, but has enough that will be useful to justify revising one's egg-sucking technique.

The writing is light and humorous. By this third edition, Booth is well dead and Williams followed shortly after the draft was completed. We're talking old men. But for all that, the tone is engaging and the writers mention feedback from students - to which they seem to have responded. There's credit due for that.

This is a competent, well written guide to doing research projects (and I have read others that compare less favourably); the writers do know their target audience and do address the likely reluctance on the part of that audience. It is nice to see a useful and pragmatic guide to research that does not assume that readers aspire for a career in research. I am pleased to have read this book and am finding it useful in developing my own masters project.
on 27 February 2015
This is a fantastic book, wish I had bought it earlier in my academic career! It really clearly lays out the key components of research and crafting an argument, rather than just describing (one of the key criticisms made of essays!) I think the book has advice that would be useful across a range of disciplines (for example, I am currently doing a Psychology PhD but it would have been useful for my Masters in Psychology and also BA in histroy). I think it just gives voice and structure to concepts that I sort of knew already but I was arriving at in a very haphazard way, this gives you a much more systematic and considered approach to take
on 17 May 2013
I have to read this book for school and I can't say that I'm enjoying it very much. It is well written but a bit of a snoozer. However, the anecdotal tips have definitely given me something to think about. I would recommend this book to any researcher who has to write their findings, in any discipline. It is a little bit more detailed than I ever wanted to get on this topic. I'm in the middle right now and it's soooo dry. Saying things like, "make sure you know what you're asking about before going to the library" seems trivial. However, such a good point don't you think? This book is full of that stuff. It's kind of like Research for Dummies and then a bunch of technical BS. The authors seem very in tune with their audience and their writing has just the right tone. I do feel like they address the expert and novice but tend to skip over the seasoned but not quite expert researcher.
on 12 May 2012
This is one book that I happily discovered whilst in the final throes of my Masters dissertation. I only wish I had had it when doing my essays and when doing my BA. It makes you see your essay from the viewpoint of the reader/examiner, which can be a real eye opener and allow you to see the flaws and gaps in your argument. It is superbly structured and so will your essays be if you work through it! Highly recommended.
on 8 March 2013
For those who does not know how to write a research project such as a MA dissertation, this book is the best I have ever read, especially if you are not a native English speaker. Lots of tips on how to choose the topic too.