Format: Hardcover|Change

on 15 October 2013
The Imperial War Museum must house the greatest repository of images of the Great War to be found anywhere in the world and this book features some of the finest. The printing is of the highest order, the images sharp and restored to a clarity that is quite wonderful.
I don't care if this title has been called a 'coffee table cash-in' published to coincide with the 2014 centenary of the outbreak of the war. The images, fortunately, speak for themselves with an eloquence and power that perfectly captures the mood of the times and the events of the days that followed the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand.
The large size of the book shows the photographs in astonishing detail so that even the images that are well known are seen here in a fresh and exciting light.
A wonderful book.
on 2 August 2016
Good product
on 21 October 2013
A wide ranging collection of photos, in large format, covering ones already known but many more covering aspects of the war far away from the Western Front. The size and defintion of each photo enables them to withstand many minutes of close examination. It is a book of photographs of the Great War and not a detailed history.
on 12 November 2013
This book provides the reader a fascinating insight into the war and presents images that I have not seen before. It is fantastic, impressive and terrible in the content it contains. The collection is comprehensive and the photographs are superbably reproduced in the book.
on 5 November 2013
The great selection of photographs carry the reader through this bloody conflict in a way that words sometime fall short. The many previously unseen images are incredibly powerful and as we approach the centenary of the start of the Great War they are a graphic reminder why we have a duty of care to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice to ensure that we never enter into armed conflict lightly. .
on 5 November 2013
A pictorial history of the First World War. Pictures from the harshest reality to snapshots of
ordinary daily life. I found this book to be both interesting and absorbing. As a historian I
found it to be good value.
on 4 November 2013
a wonderful book on a great part of our history.
my fatherr was a photographer in world war two & very interesting to see the vast difference in equipmet ( cameras etc ! )
well worth the cost.
on 30 January 2014
I received this book as a Christmas present and it is an incredible book. I have had a real interst in the human side of the Great War since the distant days of O Level when we covered the war poets. This moved me immensley and gives some incredible images of the horror that these men went through and the scale of destruction that continued for four long years. We visited the Somme several years ago on a coach tour with a guide and I can only liken some of the images in this book to the feelings I felt looking out over Tyne Cot for the first time. The scale was so vast it is impossible to comprehend without images like the ones in this book. I can't recomend this highly enough.
on 30 September 2014
Beautifully produced Book by the IWM that contains some of the most haunting, sad, uplifting, scary and artistic photos ever taken.

A superb and fitting testimony to the carnage of 1914-18 and the men, women and children who lost their lives in that dreadful conflict.

This should be in every school in the land to show and hopefully teach future generations of schoolchildren about the horrors of war and every library and in the offices of our rulers as well to hopefully prevent such mass suicidal stupidity ever happening again.

Stunning and very VERY highly recommended.
on 8 May 2014
As soon as this book appeared on my list from Amazon i began to read the reviews. It had great reviews and it was presented by the Imperial WarMuseum.

Could not wait for it to arrive. When it did, what struck me was the sheer weight of the book. That was where my expectations came to an abrupt end. Once opened. I found all pictures to be landscape, which means that half the page is blank. Then there are the many blank pages, Why??? Extremely disapointed and i am sorry to say, a waste of money. There is a very, very good book available at 'The Works' that i consider to be more informative and interesting at a greatly reduced price of £6.99. I have since purchased 'The Definitive Book of World War One' published by D&K. Extremely good book that is always presented by these publishers. Whilst it cost more than £6.99, it was far cheaper than 'The Great War'

I have offered limited information and appreciate that all these books cover a period of extreme sorrow and wanton waste of lives but cannot help but feel that i have been 'conned' in my purchase of 'The Great War.