Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 3 February 2014
This is a very well written and researched book. It covers the often overlooked meal that is lunchtime. It sets out to try and re-invigorate the lunchtime menu throughout all workplaces. It is a delightful book to read with some humorous quiffs and some clever tips and tricks to both improve and inspire your lunch while saving your a few bob while you're at it.

The book itself is broken down into the following chapters:
1. Wholesome and healthy
2. Indulgent and decadent
3. When you are chained to your desk
4. Foraging: the corner of the cupboard and the back of the fridge
5. Cooking the night before
6. Giving leftovers a new lease of life
7. Bribing colleagues with sweet treats

It also helps with the shopping list. It lays out a menu for the week and then gives you the shopping list you would need to make those recipes in that week. These include:

1. Vegetarian
2. Exotic
3. Healthy
4. When Winter Sustenance is Needed
5. Thrifty Lunches for the Week before Pay Day
6. The Minimum of Fuss
7. Mediterranean Style
8. Embracing Al Fresco Lunching

I cannot recommend this book highly enough for the person who is tired of the same old ham and cheese sandwich day in day out or for those who would normally just pop out to a shop and buy something soggy and uninteresting. You will never go back, I promise you.
on 6 May 2014
Neat concept, great range of ideas, warmly and wittily written and beautifully photographed. Some great ideas for us home workers too plus my daughter at uni with only a tiny, crummy kitchen at her disposal and 4 kitchen implements to her name. I've also used the recipes for simple suppers. To the critics who say they don't have the time... just go to Pret and get a flavourless sandwich. Clearly, this is for those who want to invest a tiny bit of time on their lunch. Most recipe books are about inspiration as much as ideas and I think this manages both. The chapter headings work very well. Particularly like the leftovers and foraging in the back of the fridge section as this really speaks to how I make most meals. Next book - would be nice to see gluten or wheat free suggestions (although half a brain can usually work that one out) and maybe some ideas for schoolkids. Carrot batons lose their appeal for baton maker and eater after about 10 years...
I brought this for myself. Thinking about what to take for lunch can become something of a drag, even become a bit routine. This book shakes up your thinking as to what you can take, how you can take it, and offers a huge variety of options for everybody in every circumstance of lunch-requirements.

What I really like about the book is that it shows you how you can incorporate the preparation of your lunch into your daily routine without it being a bind; making soup and freezing some for later lunches; preparing vegetables or other ingredients while you’re making dinner the previous night, and then what you need to do the next morning; how you can pre-prepare to a cerain extent and then what you need to do at lunchtime to complete your luncheon experience. The ideas and recipes range from really simple to rather exotic, but they’re all guaranteed to raise lunch envy amongst your colleagues and actually make you look forward to getting up in the morning and going to work (no, not really, I didn’t even convince myself there). But it can certainly make you look forward to lunchtime anyway.

There’s a fair bit of fun presented in the book, too – I laughed at the Enid Blyton lunch experience; I remember well the wonderful sounding packed lunches in the Famous Five and Secret Seven books and how I thought even as a child I would enjoy them thoroughly; now I can make a modern version of an Enid Blyton packed lunch for myself – lashings of ginger beer all round. Definitely recommended – would make a great gift for a starting, or returning person to the workplace, or just to brighten someone’s day.
on 20 January 2014
Ordered this after seeing an article online, arrived next day! Really impressed with this so far, we have tried a couple of the recipes and have been blown away by how easy they are to make and how nice they are to eat! It's a beautiful book full of stunning pictures, I'd recommend it to anyone who fancies better lunches.
on 14 October 2014
I like a bit of spiel with my recipes and this delivers with a nice bit of dry humour, although many of the recipes are essentially just sandwiches they normally add a special little touch, and the photography is inspiring too.
on 12 August 2014
Great inspiring recipes to keep you interested in preparing food.
Written with busy people in mind, so it doesn't mess around.
Also assumes that you can do it but still gives clear instructions to follow.
Never had a bad lunch experience!
on 27 April 2015
This book has totally changed my lunch experience. I was in such a rut going to the same over-priced boring places for lunch and already had thought about bringing my own lunch in but really lacked inspiration outside of the usual dull sandwich or soggy salad. This book has made such a difference as its full of interesting and inspiring lunch ideas for all occasions. I like the fact that the book is spilt into sections including ideas for preparing your lunch the night before as we don't always have time to do it in the morning. Plus once you have all the staple larder bits and bobs it works out alot cheaper and you know exactly what is going into your food which is a big plus for me. This book is perfect for anyone looking to reduce their lunch costs and get excited about lunch again. I thoroughly recommend this for anyone and everyone!

on 22 January 2014
I bought this book after reading a review in Grazia magazine. It is great and offers some great ideas for lunch; sandwiches, soups, salad without the usual soggy lettuce leaves, noodle dishes and even some brownie recipes.
I can recommend the parma ham, tomato, mozzarella and pesto sandwich with the spicy root veg soup.
Many jealous looks and general curiosity in the staff room today! Buy it if you love pret sandwiches but can't afford them everyday
on 1 February 2016
Nice alternatives for lunch. A couple of recipes are a little boring and insubstantial but generally tasty. Love the weekly menus that also list what you need to buy. Some are a little repetitive but really helps plan your week's lunches. Slight improvement would be page numbers on the menus to take you back to the recipe.