on 13 September 2017
Allie Brosh has the ability to make anybody laugh. I bought this book as a gift for a friend going for a tough time who I thought deserves to smile and I must shamelessly admit I read the whole thing front to back before I gave it to her! We both loved it. I've always kept up with Allie's blog and having it in book form means you can give someone else that laugh. Especially as Allie perfectly discusses some emotional topics within this book.
on 4 July 2017
This is the funniest book I have ever read. Loved it, It is intelligent, unique, silly, and just interesting. I could actually relate to most of it!
on 2 July 2016
Incredibly funny in a truly unique way.
on 27 August 2016
Loved it! So endearing and I could relate to most of it! ;)
on 5 January 2015
This was a present for my daughter. She loves it, and so does her sister.
on 18 September 2014
This is a gorgeous, hilarious, heartwrenching and companionable book. You feel very safe and as though you are listening to a dear friend while you read it.
I am very happy it exists and that i have a copy. Keep going, Allie! <3
on 24 December 2014
Laugh out loud funny. Brilliant book...loved it.
on 5 January 2015
This is the funniest book I have ever read. It is also intelligent, silly, and just plain sweet.
on 9 September 2017
I read this book in pretty much one sitting, and continue to go back to it to have a laugh and feel... less alone. There were more than several moments/pages/drawings where I found myself laughing out loud, and then thinking, "yeah, actually, I'm like that, too!" - having suffered from depression, a lot of people (especially those who have never experienced it) do not understand that it's not simply a bad day or feeling a bit crap. Allie Brosh hits the nail on the head with her experiences - some of which mirror my own. I've read a few reviews and whatnot that say that this book is one of the most accurate portrayals of depression - I'd be inclined to agree. The illustrations add a bit of humour to an otherwise dark, horrible mental health issue. This book is fantastic, thoroughly enjoyed it, so much so that even though I borrowed it from the local library, I shall be buying a copy of my own. I look forward to the next book. Bravo to Allie Brosh for making something as horrible as depression actually a thoroughly entertaining (and accurate) read.
on 17 March 2017
“I had tasted cake and there was no going back. My tiny body had morphed into a writhing mass of pure tenacity encased in a layer of desperation. I would eat all of the cake or I would evaporate from the sheer power of my desire to eat it.”

* * * * *
5 / 5

Hyperbole and a Half has been on my Amazon wishlist for over a year, but I never got around to buying it. And then. AND THEN. I saw it in my local charity book shop for ONE WHOLE POUND, so obviously I bought it. And what a glorious, heartfelt, hilarious experience I had. If you haven't read her comics before (I believe they are all on her website), I absolutely 100% recommend this. Essentially, Brosh's work is a collection of charmingly horrible MS Paint drawings accompanied by text. Despite being of questionable artistic quality, Brosh actually conveys a lot of emotion and her dog drawings are equal parts hilarious and relatable for any dog owner.

There are eighteen stories and they range between childhood recollections, stories about her dogs, introspective essays, and a difficult but important look at her depression. In terms of sheer humour, the dog ones (featuring simple dog and helper dog) were my favourites; they're instantly relatable for anyone who has a misbehaving dog and have really cute drawings. I also finally saw the origin of the meme "ALL THE THINGS". What a dive into internet history. Cultural exploration, it's here kids.

Her two essays at the very end of the back, called "Identity, parts one and two", are a personal insight into the author and they are so honest and genuine it made me a touch tearful. I imagine most people have done "good" things not because they are a good person, but because they want to seem like one. It takes a lot of guts to admit something like that, let alone write a humorous pictorial essay about it and publish it online/in a book. Likewise, the ones about depression are so incredibly personal yet so important.

This is a surprisingly hefty book, clocking in at about 370 pages. The pages are vibrant and the paper is decent quality; I don't really have a bad word about this book, other than be aware that there is a reasonable amount of swearing and it deals with some serious topics, if you plan on giving this to a child.

I will conclude with a hearty endorsement of Hyperbole and a Half: if you see it somewhere, buy it. It's a gem.