Customer reviews

Bradley Wiggins: My Time: An Autobiography
Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 February 2013
This is probably one of the best cycling biogs that I have ever read. I've got a library of more than 500 books on cycling here and I would put this very close to the top tier of books published about cycling. Why? Because he goes into the ins and outs of his incredible training regime and how things worked out (or didn't at times) and it acts as a real inspiration to us all. He could have followed the usual biography blandness (ie Rob Arnold's book on Cadel Evans) but he chose to show himself as he is. As far as those who doubt his achievements (you see these crazies on net forums all the time) - if you trust the sincerity of this book, as I do, then their is no doubt whatsoever that Bradley and his colleagues race clean. Off course Paul Kimmage is still looking for some nasties behind Brad's achievements and he goes around winding people up about doubting Team Sky - but open your eyes Paul (and the others) - here's a straght from the heart, shoot from the hips, warts and all biog that tells it as it is. Well done Brad. Love you!
on 24 November 2012
A great, inspirational insight into a true British hero.
So why only 2 stars?
A book that is a pleasure to read is hard to put down. This is a struggle to pick up.
It's been rushed into production for the Christmas market. Lots of repetitions, not only from chapter to chapter but even within the same paragraph.
Poorly written, but then William Fotheringham wrote it so why am I surprised. I've not enjoyed his style of writing in any of his books.
If it gets re-written for the second edition (perhaps by an outstanding writer like Daniel Coyle) then this would be a 5* with no hesitation.
Worth reading because it's Brad's story, but it could have been so much better.
on 26 October 2013
I started reading this after enjoying Tyler Hamilton's book on drugs and Lance Armstrong (The secret race) which was a revealing account of the skullduggery behind the cycling world. Recommended. However this book by Bradley Wiggens is one of the worst I have tried to read in a while. It appears to be ghostwritten but reads like one long sentence of chat taped from an interview. It badly needs editing. Don't bother- I wanted to like this but gave up after the first 50 pages or so!
on 14 March 2013
Without doubt one of the best, if not the best, bio type book I've read. We've all read about Wiggos triumphs and disasters in the press, both general and specialist, and watched it all on television, and I wondered if there would be anything new in this book. But every page was new, there were well told anecdotes, well told explanations for incidents we saw on TV and thought the commentators knew the whats and wherefors about but didn't really! Brads explanation of the very public "Come on" from Chris Froome is a very big "aha, now I understand" moment, and Brad's descriptions and understandings and wee stories from behind the scenes on every page make this a complete and very very compelling journey into something I never fully appreciated, and his ability to describe and retell stories and anecdotes is just superb. Without doubt one of the, if not "the", sports book of the year. Not just about Brad, but great stuff about British cycling, Sky and many of the characters.
on 22 January 2013
I bought this book with a view to learning more about Bradley Wiggins' background. However, this book talked very little of this and became a very technical guide to how he has achieved what he has. I was left a little disappointed, but only because I'm not a cycling buff. If you are a cycling fan, I'm sure you will love it.
on 18 February 2013
I was surprised to find myself reading this book, but actually found myself really enjoying it. It's easy to read and flows wells. Although there is a very brief potted history about Bradley Wiggins earlier years, this is essentially about his successes in 2012 and the two or three years leading up to it. The detail about training and performance are told at such a level that is clear and understandable to the layman. Luckily it is not heavily loaded with overtly and excessively technical cyclo-babble, but written in a simplistic, almost naive, way which makes it all the better for the reader.

2012 was definitely a memorabel one fro Bradley Wiggins and his cycling success has been rightly capped with what I would suggest is also a successful book. It reads well, gives a real flavour of the personality of the man, not always easily discerned from media or press reports,and his phenominal achievements. Well done brad.
on 20 October 2016
The book does sound like authentic wiggins. And until recently I would have rated it highly, not because I like wiggins, I don't: he comes over as he is, self obsessed, with an expectation that other cyclists are there to serve him (and that cost Froome a vuelta and a tour) - but at least it was seemingly authentic Brad.

Recent events have to change that opinion

On page 60 he clearly says , in the context of doping, he has never had injections, when it turns out he has clearly had cortisone injections before several critical tours, including the tour this book is about. So what if a TUE was authorised? Wiggins has two problems. First these are well known performance enhancers of choice, as others like Millar have openly said, but worse , far worse, in this book Wiggins clearly had the injections and lied about it in the book. When any cyclist lies about anything to do with doping you can no longer trust a word they say on that or any other subject. Because you know that you are only being told what they want you to know. Neither the truth, the whole truth or even nothing but the truth.

So sadly this book needs reclassifying as "fiction"
on 16 December 2012
I really enjoyed the above book, I found the book very honest and interesting. I dont claim to be a sporty person but I was intrigued by all the information on cycling. I really admire Bradley Wiggins and would reccomend it to anyone who likes a true story and enjoyed the Olympics in London this year.
on 2 January 2013
2012 was an awesome year for Bradley Wiggins and Britsh Cycling. This volume of his autobiography covers the year from the start until the Olympics, and intersperses his recollections of the Tour with alternate chapters looking at the preparation leading up to those weeks in July. Many cyclists will be interested in the background information on training, the move away from "racing as training" to "training to race" being one in point, as well as the drive towards "metres climbed" from "kilometers ridden". However, I felt that the excitement I feel when I watch the Tour de France is actually reduced reading Wiggins' account of it. Perhaps it's a result of the style of writing, which is very measured, but there were few moments where it seemed any more than just " a job to do". The section on the Olympics was great-a genuine insight into the frenetic world Wiggins' yellow jersey propelled him. It's a shame the rest of the book couldn't capture the emotion in the same way. My personal highlight? Robert Millar's beautifully written foreword. Now there's an autobiography I'd love to read!
on 26 November 2013
Interesting to hear about the preperation, struggle and hard work that was put in towards the run up to 2012, i liked reading all about the hard work and dedication but it did become a little repetetive. Would have been much better if it had more or Wiggin's personality included, but not a bad read.