on 29 August 2017
Very interesting and informative. Gives a lot of historical fact about the development of the tour and the characters involved in the easy assimilated form of individual stories which, themselves, shed light on the "less glamorous" end of the peleton. This raises the stature of those who are frequently passed over in the rush to idolise those better known GC riders.
on 10 August 2017
This is a book you can pick and read a chapter and then easily come back later to read another chapter without trying to remember what occurred in the prior pages. Each chapter is a mini event in its own right. As an avid cyclist who follows the Tour de France year after year it is a great book to have in your cycling library IMHO. It isn't a classic but certainly a worthy tome.
on 22 March 2017
Some briiliant and very funny tales from those at the back of the race. Never underestimate the effort these riders put in!
on 2 May 2017
Really enjoyable fresh take on the TdeF. Would recommend to any cycling fans
on 21 April 2014
Max is a new author for me. But I am happy to add this to my huge (!) cycling book collection. I've bought a lot of 2nd or even 3rd rate books in the past couple of years as everyone seems to want to publish about cycling. But Max has produced a first rate book. Well written and a book that I found it difficult to put down. So I used my bike lights under the duvet whilst the Mrs tried to sleep! Just one little niggle, if I may. I loved the list of all the Lanterne Rouges since that first Tour. It is a fun list and a great foil to to those books endlessly listing the winners of each Tour! I'm looking forward to your next book! How about one on the Paris-Nice - that seems to be missing from the publishers' palmares! I'd also like to see one on the great British classic of days gone by: Folkestone/Dover-London, London-Holyhead and so on. Max is the guy to write that one whilst some of the protagonists are still alive.
on 9 May 2014
After reading much about those at the front of the peloton, it made a change to hear the often untold stories of those who prop up the GC and how they came to be there. The subject clearly means a lot to the author and I thoroughly enjoyed taking the journey with him through the history of red jersey and witnessing him win his own (of sorts). The stories of determination and unwillingness to give in to abandonment in this book are just as inspiring as the stories of the winners of the Tour and Max Leonard has a talent for really bringing his interviewees to life on the pages. One of the most enjoyable sports books I have read and I would recommend this book to both cycling fans and anyone just looking for an entertaining read.
on 26 May 2014
This book isn't very well written, or maybe I was expecting something different.
I had hoped for a fun but informative look at the tour from the other end, the book is informative but a bit dull.
This could be me just not getting into the book but normally I like to read books about the under dog continuing to push on against the odds but this book just didn't tell the story with any feeling,
This is the first book that I have given up on in years...
on 27 May 2014
Always forgotten but interesting anecdotes from the history of the TdF. Sometimes you forget its not just the winning, but actually completing it is the trophy, unless you want to compete for last place! This book tells us how the riders used last place to gain and would recommend to any cycling fan
on 26 August 2014
I've read more cycling books than I care to remember, but this has to rank as one of my favourites by far. Part history lesson, part personal journey, the book manages the trick of being both entertaining and informative. And whilst there are plenty of stories you'll probably already know, I'm fairly sure there's nuggets in here for even the most completeist of cycling readers.
on 25 July 2014
Full of facts, amusing and sad stories, but as the author quotes from a website that celebrates the recipients of the Lanterne Rouge - Whatever we think of these guys, not one of us would "live on their wheel for thirty seconds". for lovers of road cycling this is a must.