Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 August 2015
This is the first BD that enabled me to "get" this genre.
I read this book in one hour, and in this hour both laughed and cried. I have bought several copies to give as gifts.
As other reviewers have mentioned Persepolis, I would highlight this is not a sequel and should not be read as such. It is a stand alone work and should be considered as such.
on 5 June 2017
Such a great book, read it in an hour it's a great graphic novel that everyone (men and women) should read!
on 6 September 2017
A short story. I started and finished it in the bath. So was glad I only paid a few quid for it. Saying that it is a lovely little book. Would recommend.
on 2 January 2013
I was disappointed, the book is very short. I am a fan of the film and I love her work, but this book was extremely short.
on 14 December 2012
I loved this book I laughed out loud as I read it It is nice to see the realtionships and humor in a very outwardly closed system
on 18 January 2009
Embroderies seems at first glance, to be a collection of funny sex stories told from the mouths of real women who grew up in Iran. However, the funny aspects of the book seem to cover up the more serious matters of underage marriage and violent relationships that are kept under lock and key. Not as good as its sister book Persposis, but fans of the first book who were interssted in the themes of female subversion from Satrapi's first graphic novel may want to give this a look.

The main downside to the book is that because the narrative jumps suddenly, it glosses over a few of the more interesting stories in order to fit everyone in. This is a collection of short stories (very short!).
on 25 January 2012
Received and finished this on the same day! After reading 'Persepolis' and 'Chicken with plums' I have to say Embroideries lies closer to the latter in length. It's a short book, but keeps you gripped from start to end. I love how Satrapi keeps the same characters in every book, herself, and her hilariously blunt grandma. This book is centered around the 'tradition' of having friends and family round for tea, and the different conversation topics that come up, mainly marriage and general gossip! Overall, a fab read, but if you want a longer book, I suggesst you read 'Persepolis.'
on 30 August 2010
Marjane Satrapi, a name I am more familiar with thanks to a friend who thought I may like Persepolis. Indeed he was right - I loved Persepolis...but this is a reveiw about Embroideries, so first impression - it is a faster, shorter read than Persepolis...but with Embroideries, there is one topic on everyone's 'lips' and that is the Iranian women's experiences of sex,love,relationships and marriage. This is not the whole all-encompassing life story that was Persepolis, so of course sadly it's shorter. The stories are told amongst the Iranian woman in a confidential self help style group - what is revealed in the confines of their tea 'parties', must stay secret. Embroideries is written with the same wit, (bravo MS) that Persepolis exudes. But of course as a 'free Westerner' myself, there is a shocking way of life, a different culture to understand...under the veil though, these girls do like a giggle. Persepolis
on 11 July 2011
I loved her more famous book Persepolis and so was thrilled to see she has written more. This will only take you an hour to read but is well worth it. Her brilliantly subversive grandmother (such a star in the previous book) is the central character who hosts the gossip sessions that cover mainly sex, men, failed marriages and of course "embroideries" which you will be surprised to hear the true meaning of. I love the line that talking about others is ventilation for the heart, as well as the brilliantly drawn expressions and hysterical one-liners.
This book really brings home the fact that although these women are from a very different culture, they are really just like the rest of us. Well, her grandmother might ask, what did I think?!
on 9 May 2010
I purchased "Embroideries" out of the enthusiasm oozing from "Persepolis". I opened the parcel full of expectations of another enthralling tale from that far-off country called Iran. I laughed and devoured it in a couple of hours (it doesn't take longer than that to read it), but I felt little enthusiastic when I finished it. As it's often the case with authors that you first approach through their masterpieces the difficulty to replicate success is around the corner. "Embroideries" is much more focused than "Persepolis" -it is conceived as a bubbly discussion among 9 women on issues linked to sex and relationship. However, the lack of the overall picture is a fault in this case. Funny at times, it is less a must-read than "Persepolis", for sure. And it also seems like it cannot stand on its own. I somehow think that reading "Embroideries" before reading "Persepolis" might put off the reader from Marjane Satrapi altogether, which may be a pity. And reading "Embroideries" after "Persepolis" might result in a big disappointment.