Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 25 October 2013
Does exactly what it says on the tin. Easy to dip into, not a dry text book on grammer, and of more use than any english teacher I had in Secondary school.
on 9 January 2014
It is often hard to tell from the website exactly what a book will be like.
This has some good bits, but misses some issues which I needed to clarify.
It has no index, and the contents page is extremely short, so finding your way around is a little challenging.
on 9 December 2013
This is a present for my daughter so it depends on what she makes of it. I think it is a very useful reference book for anyone who hasn't learnt the basics or has forgotten it and good for those who have to bone up on the more esoteric uses of English grammar.
on 7 October 2013
A really useful book to have in your home, office or school. Great for teaching English as a foreign language as the difficulties and subtleties in the English language are hard to explain and yet this book makes life a lot easier.
on 13 April 2013
Bought myself this book on impulse. Now there are some people who might opine that, having written two published books and a hundred journal articles, I possibly don't need a book on the correct usage of grammar. I pride myself that I can tiptoe my way through the many subtle nuances of the English language. After all, did I not (to my shame) once humiliate my college tutor by correcting him in front of the whole class for carelessly using the word "infer" when he should've used "imply"? My cockiness on that occasion still embarrasses me when I think back to it.

Well, it's a fascinating book and I lay awake until 5 O'clock in the morning devouring it. And I've learned a surprising amount. (Such as it's OK to begin a sentence with "And" as I did just then; previously I had always thought that beginning a sentence with "And" or "But" would bring the wrath of heaven down on my head. Shakespeare did it, and if it's good enough for Shakespeare, it's good enough for me.) I discovered that, all my life, I've been putting a fullstop after "Dr" and sometimes after "Mr" when that's incorrect practice. I've discovered the distinction between "which" and "that" (honestly, that's something that's been bugging me for nearly thirty years - I have really got to get out more! - as I felt sure these two words, used correctly, were not really interchangeable, but until now I haven't known what the difference is. And I've always wondered whether the correct expression is "Suffice to say..." or "Suffice IT to say..." (in fact either way is fine).

I've improved my vocabulary since reading it. I've learned that three dots (such as I used above) is called an "ellipsis" (sounds a lot better than "three dots", you must admit) and the proper name for a slash or stroke is a "solidus". (I've also just noticed I've put "sounds a lot" in that last sentence. Now that is a no-no, according to this masterly book, as "a lot" is much too vague to convey any meaning. And I know now the distinction between "masterly" and "masterful" to use this adjective with confidence as I did just then.)

The book, which could've been quite a dry tome, is written in a clear, easily understandable way (is that tautologous?) and spiced with many amusing asides. (The best text books are those that use humour to put their points across). I have always maintained that English, used correctly, is the best and most expressive language in the world. This book is proof positive of that. This was money well spent.
on 30 October 2012
This book is absolutely brilliant - I could not put it down. It is very funny. A must for all those christmas stockings!
on 18 February 2013
Great for those who wonder about their grammar and should it be "you and I" or "You and me" and has some surprising information on why we say what we do as we do.
on 27 February 2013
I would recommend this book to anyone who struggles with grammar. It provides you with a quick reference
to ensure you are putting those apostrophe's in the right place!!
on 12 November 2012
Just what was needed. I can now confidentlly assist my grandson with his homework.
The book is well laid out and explains the use of english in an easy to follow manor.
on 22 February 2013
I am concerned about the decline in the standards in written and spoken English and purchased this in the hope of reinforcing the English I was taught 50+ years ago