on 5 May 2014
London bakeries are becoming more and more Americanised. I was at a talk once about the bakery scenes in various European countries and someone pointed out that in places like Paris and Rome, there's such an embedded tradition of their national baked goods, that it's hard for someone else to get a foothold, bakery-wise. I'm not sure what it says about London that there's so many international style bakeries (either that we're a cosmopolitan-style city or there's no history of local baked sweets), but there have been some great American-style bakeries which have come along to fill the gap.

The Primrose Bakery (right in the centre of London's celebrity district and beloved by GOOP herself) serve a great variety of American-style cupcakes - I'm particularly fond of their lavender and their salted caramel cupcakes. Their third cookbook, Primrose Bakery Celebrations focuses on various celebrations and parties throughout the year - the focus in on children's parties - from baby showers, to parties for young children, for parties for teenagers. Of course, these could be mixed and matched (or used for any occasion, really), but there's some cute ideas suggested for specific themes.

My friend Nina was particularly happy with the alcohol-inspired cupcakes in the end of the book - rather an unusual cupcake chapter, but a bit of a balance to the deliciously sweet kids flavours which I preferred (bubblegum cupcakes, anyone?) There's probably something in there for anyone who loves cupcakes or cookies or traybakes - any American sweets.
review image
on 19 October 2013
Im really disappointed with this book. Book description:- 'sweet and savoury treats' but you'd be lucky if you can find six savoury treats and when you do they are very basic. Hot dogs and egg and tomato sandwich to name two of them. There's a recipe for orange salad, two ingredients but four pages of photos. And this book is nearly half full of photos of people who probably mean a lot to someone but not to me. I don't need to see everyone's friend or relative in a book of cake recipes. Looking through the index I saw 'baklava'. I thought that would be worth making at home. I like baklava. Turned to page 110 and there's no recipe, just a few sentences telling me I can buy some good baklava in Selfridge's. I already knew that because I was there last week. Unfortunately I'm not travelling the 300 miles back there just yet so it looks like my local supermarket will have to do for now. Or perhaps I'll just see if I can return this photo album back to Amazon and buy a recipe book instead.
0Comment| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 October 2015
This is for the Hardback version of this book only, Although I've never been lucky enough to actually sample any of the The Primrose Bakeriewares, but this was the next best thing! It's given me inspiration to not only try and replicate some of their cakes, but it also encourages the home baker to make their own tweaks. Plus some of the flavours of icings and ganaches are far more well thought out than anything I might have attempted on my own! Most, if not all of the recipes are achievable and again, most ingredients can be sourced locally. I'm actually looking aforward to the next Primrose Bakery cookbook called 'Everyday' and the sample I've looked on Kindle suggests to me that this should be on my Xmas list!! (Hint, hint!)
on 30 December 2014
Rubbish! When it first arrived I couldn't wait to open it. The cover gave such high expectations. As usually with Primrose Bakery, too many American recipes that generally taste disgusting. You also don't buy a cake book to read how to make sandwiches, fruit salads and dog treats. The best thing about it are the cocktail cupcakes. I expected it to be themed that way with some seriously excellent celebration cake recipes that weren't your every day. Cakes PB are usually excellent at given their last book. This particular book was a complete waste of money and should be avoided, unless you can buy it at a fraction of the price. If I could have reviewed it first, I wouldn't have paid any more than £5 for it and neither should you.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 October 2016
As other reviewers have said, there is some strange stuff in here, like sandwiches, but overlooking that it's a lovely book in the usual primrose style with some fantastic recipes in there.

The book itself is thick and heavy with beautifully thick and glossy pages. It's not just a baking book, it's a whole party planning book, it has lots of party food and drinks so from that respect, it's a good one to have on the shelf.

I would definitely recommend this book. Another beauty from primrose.
on 21 October 2013
This book is very disappointing and not what I expected from the description or following the previous lovely Primrose Bakery books. It is a good size book and from first glance at the cover I thought this book would be very good, unfortunately it doesn't follow through inside. The recipe for the cover cake which is very pretty with the decorations doesn't tell you how to make the flowers or where to get something similar, just gives a sponge cake recipe, it is lacking in so many areas. I expected some fantastic celebration cakes and treats, yet there are only a couple of things I thought I would have possibly tried, and certainly didn't need two pages to tell me how to make a club sandwich.
on 12 November 2013
I pre-order it before the released day and was attracted by the pretty cake on its cover. Also, I have the previous two books from Primrose Bakery and they are nice. Thus, I trusted this one will be even better.
However, I was disappointed when receiving it. There are lots of photos in it but not in a "cooking book" way. For example, there are quite many cross pages of photos of people, party, garden..etc, which make no sense for a recipe book especially when there are far too many.
About the recipes in it, I'd say there are ok, but not much different from the previous two books.
on 2 November 2013
This book was a huge disappointment. Bought it as had a family birthday coming up and thought there'd be some real "showstoppers" cakes wise. No such luck. As others have said lots of pretty pictures but no substance. I don't think I'll be making anything from it - the flavour combinations are too odd for me. A real shame as I really liked the 1st two "Primrose" books. I pre-ordered this book whilst there were no reviews - from now on I'll wait for reviews before ordering.
on 10 July 2014
Not the book I was expecting, it is not only about cakes but also includes son savoury recipes to complement parties. There are several themed parties with recipes from the cakes, cupcakes, etc. No my preferred book from Primrose Bakery but certainly one to buy if you have the other 2. As all of their books, lovely pictures.
on 7 November 2013
I love this book, it's full of ideas and easy to use. Some essences are hard to find, but I found Uncle Roy's Comestible Concoctions and he makes them all, you can find him on the internet.
I'm giving this for Christmas presents, when my friends saw it, they couldn't put it down, so to get my copy back, I've bought them copies too - half price!