on 22 December 2011
The design of the book is very simple which works really well with the theme of traditional British baking. The instructions are easy to follow and all the ingredients can be found in the supermarket. I like that dried yeast is used in the dough recipes - certainly makes life easier.

There are photos for most of the recipes which are full-page and I think they're really great. There are nice big close ups and most of the photos are of slices or the whole dessert with a piece taken out so you can really see what the cake/tart/pies etc looks like inside. It's really useful when you're baking to compare your efforts to someone elses. It also makes it looks like everything must be delicious as there is a bit missing with crumbs around the edges of plates!

The book has a short 4 page technique and equipment section at the start which would be very useful for the novice baker. The book is then split into 10 chapters including Biscuits, Fruity Cakes, Breakfast Goods and A Cup of Tea and a Bun! I'm pretty sure everyone would find something to make from each chapter.
on 21 November 2011
I am slightly regretful that this one has sat in the review pile for quite so long. The book starts with a techniques and equipment section, then each chapter covers a different type of baking. Recipes are clearly laid out, with a brief introduction to each one. I like the inclusion of a list of equipment needed for each recipe. Most recipes have a full page colour photo simply showing the finished bake with plain styling and largely without props. Everything that most people would like to bake is in here, all the classics and some more unusual bakes such as lemon semolina cake & malty chocolate cake. I cannot wait to try a homemade version of the Tunnocks Tea Cake or the Greengage and Almond Tart. One to be cooked form again and again. Great present for a beginning baker and would work well as a "sole" baking book for those who do not collect cookbooks!
on 26 April 2013
I would not recommend this book. It is attractive to look at but the recipes do not match up to my expectations. I cook professionally for a cafe/resturant and not one of the recipes I have tried so far bake as the instructions. One of many problems is that recipes need longer cooking time than the instructions, when all the other recipes I use don't. I can only assume that the recipes are cut down from the very large scale that their bakery makes and I wonder if they have ever been tried in smaller quantities. The book is now on it's way to a charity shop with a covering note!
on 18 April 2012
I confess I am a bit of a hoarder of baking books however, if I had to get rid of all but one of my books, this would be my one to keep.
Every recipe that I have tried from this book has been easy to follow, worked well and delicious. My favourite recipe is the chocolate marble cake with white chocolate icing. The book has a great selection of recipes which covers all of the traditional recipes you could want. If you are looking for a baking book with lots of unusual recipes then this probably isn't the one for you.
The layout of the book is very appealing with a page per recipe and lots of pictures. There is also some general advice at the beginning of the book.
I would highly recommend this book it's the one I keep coming back to.
on 4 July 2011
If you want the best of British baking this is the book for you, it does however stretch the definition of baking past breaking point by including such recipes as "Eton Mess" which tenuous link to baking is the meringue which is covered elsewhere in the book. As a book it is superbly presented on good quality glossy paper lavishly illustrated with photographs at a push the pages would probably wipe clean if ingredients were splashed on it (I have not done it and don't recommend trying). Also like the ribbon book mark a small but nice touch. Each recipe has a small descriptive piece at the start which helps to give a personal feel to the book, I did not know that "Bannoffi Pie" [the spelling in the book] came originally from East Sussex. There are some recipes that I have not seen before for example there is a superb chocolate cake which uses ground almonds instead of flour.
Each recipe is well described with a list of equipment being given.
It may not export well to the USA as all measurements are in metric, actually I prefer Imperial myself.
on 25 October 2012
I would agree with AlwaysPekkish22 I've tried the Black Forest Gateau recipie a couple of times and there's something missing in that one as well. It just won't rise. The garibaldi recipie doesn't really make them like mamma used to make either!
on 21 May 2014
The short version review: don't bother reading any further. Just buy it.

The long version review: I picked this up in Waterstone's on a whim - a genuine impulse purchase. Peyton & Byrne were vaguely known to me but other than that I had no reason to purchase other than her was a damaged copy sitting on sale very cheaply. Baking was something I'd generally avoided over the years, but I decided to give it a shot.

Let's consider the contents first: as the author states, it's an unashamedly British collection, with pretty much all the old favourites you can think of included - I'm sure nitpickers will ask why X or isn't in there, but basically this has all the classics. The book starts with cakes, moving via fairy cakes, puddings and fruit cakes, onto breakfasty things and breads.

Results are spectacular. As pretty much a novice baker, I was flying blind but just followed the recipes to the letter. I have tried about eight recipes so far - and all have been superb. My first attempt at a Victoria sponge was as good as anything my mother ever baked, their rich chocolate cake and lemon semolina cake were excellent, while the ginger and treacle bread - which didn't sound that appealing from the recipe - was subtle and really excellent.

As others have hinted, cooking times seem to have been underestimated. Obviously all ovens vary but I would advise you to make sure your oven is properly preheated, at the upper end of the temperature scale they suggest and then to expect your cooking time to be at the upper end. Practice makes perfect of course and other than not quite getting a knack for the times instantly - presumably a challenge for all novice bakers - the results have been superb. Recommended without hesitation.
on 3 January 2012
Excellent book, that is a must have for any kitchen. I bought this as a gift and will soon be purchasing for myself! Great, tasty and good looking recipes and the book is very luxuriously made so an excellent gift.
on 30 August 2012
Every recipe we've used from Oliver Peyton's book has been a delicious success. The instructions are easy to follow and the ingredients are not impossible to find. The chocolate brownie recipe is a winner that we've made many times, hard to believe how quick and easy it is. We had never baked a marble cake or cheesecake before, absence of Bain Marie a big help, and the book has encouraged us to become more adventurous in our baking.
on 28 September 2011
I Love love love this book. After lusting after it for some time I decided too finally buy it and it was well worth the wait. Not only are the pictures and pages beautifully designed but the recipes are fantastic. I love the introduction to each recipe has a little of the history and that they are al;l traditional british recipes.

If your sick of cucpcakes and cake pops I extremley recommend you purchase this book.