Customer reviews

Can I Give Them Back Now?: The Aargh to Zzzz of Parenting
Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 June 2009
So accurate I thought the authors must have stolen my diary. It discusses the stuff that the other parent guides avoid, it made me laugh out loud. Highly recommended.
on 22 October 2010
As parents of three, my husband and I have been reading this book and howling with laughter - and also with recognition. Cooking with your coat on - yes! I've done that so many times. Nobody tells you this stuff, but all of us experience it and we think we are experiencing it alone. This book should be handed out with welcome packs for every new baby, there should be copies in the waiting rooms of doctors surgeries and maternity clinics throughout the country. You're told all the good stuff, but left to think that the difficult parts of parenting are all your own fault. This book makes you realise you're not alone. It makes some serious points, but it is also very, very funny. Buy a copy for all the parents you know.
on 22 March 2017
Got this book as a gift 8 years ago when had baby number one. It's hilarious! Laughed out loud/had to suppress giggling many times. I'm now going to pass it on to my sister in law who has had a baby but I've just started reading it again and might not be able to pass it up just yet!
on 6 July 2009
So said Homer Simpson and so said I after opening this book at random and reading about a paragraph's worth. This is just a great book for every parent because it chronicles with relentless humour all the ups and downs of the early parenting years. In theory it should be useful as a guide for people thinking about taking the plunge (so to speak) but really its main function is to make those of us who've spent years botching up our offspring's childhood feel better about the whole thing. Just really funny, and all so true, well worth buying.
on 23 June 2009
This book is a typical daily account of motherhood from the laughing to crying and all the bits in between. It's a must for any mother, grandmother, aunt or woman for that matter and something to be enjoyed during your 10 mins of peace during the day. My sister-in-law (one of the authors - Jay Curtis) is an insightful, hysterical genius and I can't wait for more books - god love her !
on 5 June 2009
Thank God for a book like this, which tells the truth about parenting in such a hilarious way. I'm hoping my friends will love it too as I'm buying it for all their birthdays!
on 30 August 2009
This book is probably the best parenting book I have read to date (and I've read a lot!). It covers practically every scenario faced by parents today. It makes you feel normal and, more importantly, makes you laugh hysterically at all the trials and tribulations of parenthood; (I don't think I have ever laughed so much whilst reading a book!). Thank you Joanna Simmons and Jay Curtis, whoever you are, your book should be prescribed to every parent in the country as an anitdote to the usual guilt inducing drivel spouted by other parenting books and people. I throroughly recommend this book to anyone with children and can't wait for the next installation. What a brilliant and funny book, I cannot rate it highly enough.
on 7 July 2009
I love this book! At last someone has finally written what every parent is feeling within - both the highs and the lows. There are no 'yummy mummys' (at least not any who actually spend any amount of time with their children!!), and that it is okay to admit that parenting is not fun all of the time and it can be bloody hard work (the bedtime section made me laugh out loud!). I'm sure there are plenty of mums (and dads) who would be very happy to buy the authors a drink to say thank you for making us realise that we are 'normal' parents!
on 2 November 2009
I agree with everyone, this makes you feel so much better about not being a perfect parent; SO close to the mark it's untrue. Every mother should read this. Don't be put off by the naff cover and title(publishers and authors, I would seriously consider changing these, looks like any other run of the mill parenting guide). Just genius, wish I'd written it myself.
on 24 March 2011
I bought this and a serious book on "behaviour". I still haven't finished the bahviour manual but I have read this book twice. I think it may have just saved my sanity. Don't don't don't waste your money on stupid books written by people who probably don't even have any children, just buy this and relax in the knowledge that you are not alone!