Format: Hardcover|Change

on 8 April 2017
I liked everything about this book. Wonderful writing, tense storyline. Even the retreat to Dunkirk held my attention. I even found myself liking and disliking characters. One of the best books I have read.
on 9 May 2017
Came quickly and appeared in great conidition. The characters will annoy you greatly, yet it is one of the best book you'll read.
on 1 May 2017
As decried! 😬
on 2 May 2017
One of my favourite novels of all time!
on 5 April 2017
Very good!
on 31 October 2005
I started reasing this book one saturday and I have to admit I found it very hard to put down. I'd only ever read Enduring Love of McEwan's before and found that even more exciting, mainly because of the start and the fact that there were many twists in the tale. The first part of Atonement, set in a family house and grounds in the 1930's is incredibly written- sensitive, mysterious and gripping. The plot moves on but into a different decade and focussing soley on one character, then again in part three to another character. Fans of war novels will enjoy these parts, as McEwan's depiction of war time on the battle field and in the hospitals is realistic and moving. However I found the end slightly disappointing, not really because of the story but because the perspective changes from an impartial onlooker without an identity to a character we have observed throughout the novel. I found this view slightly biased and odd to read, and although the resolution of events at the end is fascinating I found that a few details and characters in the story were overlooked.
on 15 February 2017
Seems very useful for full analysis of the characters and themes and summarys
VINE VOICEon 2 March 2010
This is a beautiful, beautiful novel. McEwan's writing is elegant and evocative and he proves himself the master of different styles as he moves from the domestic suspense of that famous hot summer in Part 1 to the horrors of the Second World War in Part 2. The ending is stunning and although it surprised me it was perfectly appropriate and brought together the strands of many important themes in the book. This is an emotional novel too and, yes, I cried over what is one of the great literary love stories.

Atonement is an absolute masterpiece. This is a great work of literature and will be remembered for many years to come.
on 31 March 2017
Very good novel with a shocking twist at the end which I didn't see coming. Would recommend
on 30 March 2017
At only thirteen years-old, Briony has a limited comprehension of adult behaviour and a great deal of curiosity. Her appalling mistake was made on a very hot day in 1935 when her sister, Cecilia, stripped off in the garden to plunge into the fountain. Surely, even for posh new graduates this was not likely behaviour. You have to let it go though, because it is the basis of the entire story.

Briony observes Robby from her hiding place. He is the son of a servant and, from Briony’s point of view following an awful event she believes she witnessed, a criminal. Over the next sixty years, including the disasters of war, Briony comes to realise the appalling consequences of her error.
I recommend readers to put the silly beginning behind them and enjoy the many very good aspects of this book.