Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon 24 September 2014
My wife remembers this book from her childhood as being her favourite book so she bought it for our 7-year-old daughter and we read it over several nights. My daughter also liked it and said it was "really fun".

The story starts with the unnamed boy narrator (at the beginning where the main characters are introduced he is simply called "boy") being told about witches by his grandmama. But "this is not a fairy-tale" she is telling. "This is about REAL WITCHES" and "real witches hate children." They disguise themselves as women and make children disappear.

The grandmother is funny because she is so un-grandma-like as she puffs away on her black cigar.

After that bout of story-telling the book sees the boy come into contact with real witches. Not just one witch though as he gets stuck in a room with about 200 of them. He has to hide but witches can smell children out, and do just that. This is where the real witching begins and the dastardly things they do comes to the fore.

All-in-all a classic Roald Dahl tale with the scary enemy potentially being anywhere, hence a child's imagination running wild.
on 2 March 2016
My daughter loves Roald Dahl and this book was no exception. She's now 9 and has read this in a couple of weeks, just by taking it to school and reading first thing in the morning before lessons.

Easy to read and the usual 'unusual' style animations makes this a great book for the junior school age group.
on 25 July 2017
I am 7 years old I read The Witches in about 4 days I liked the book.It was a bit scary but I loved it.I recommend it for 10 to 13 year old girls and boys .I cant wait for the movie it could be for halloween ???????bye I hope you will enjoy the book [that is if you read it]
on 7 June 2017
Great price and quick delivery.
on 15 September 2017
purchased for friend
on 4 May 2017
It's very good
on 17 August 2017
excellent product
on 2 May 2017
Brilliant. Typical Roald Dahl book that suits kids and adults. My kids scared to death but always wanting to hear more. Job done!
on 24 August 2017