Customer reviews

A Fan's Notes
Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 June 2017
a game changer...blew me away
on 6 January 2014
What can I say, I have just finished reading this and have looked it up on Amazon and am stunned to find only 5 reviews, I was expecting hundreds! I found this a difficult read, it's taken me weeks, but now I've finished I think that it's because so many of its themes are reflected in my own life. The author suffered a broken heart(like me) at an early age and so much of the book is his reaction to the terrible grief that he felt (like me). Rather than anyone sitting down and listening to him (I did therapy for years) he was carted off to a mental institution and given insulin shock therapy and later electroshock treatment! God, this was only 50 or so years ago, they were monsters!!

I don't want to go on and on about what happens in the book, as other reviewers have said it's not about football or sport though the New York Giants became a huge part of his life.

Just read it, I don't think you'll find it easy, but in parts it's very very funny. So many people have been, shall I say, 'influenced' by it. The film Tin Men springs to mind, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas; Hunter Thompson's attorney character is remarkably similar to the 'Counsellor' in A Fan's Notes. I even think that Tarantino's choice of names in Reservoir Dogs is no co-incidence. I'm not saying that these writers have ripped him off, but they have all, along with many others, read the book. And you should too.
on 19 February 2002
A brutually honest self-portrait of a man who can not live up to his own expectations and drowns himself in booze to kill that pain. This tragic and at times depressing story is populated with a great cast of characters. Where can I buy the film rights?
on 30 August 2010
A fan's notes is funny and painful in equal measure. The narrator is a drunken sports fan who has a hard life - it does not sound funny, but it is.
Read it if you like Catcher in the Rye and that type of angst fueled opus.
on 18 September 1999
There is no 'Happy Ever After' in this story. It's one man's tragic life told with unflattering honesty and insight. It is classed as a novel, but is based on Exley's own life.
If you don't want to read about political incorrectness, mental illness, failure, and drunkenness, then avoid it. But if you enjoy classic literature or are an aspiring writer, then this is a must-read.
Exley has written two other books: 'Pages From A Cold Island' and 'Last Notes From Home'. If they were available, I'd buy them without a moment's hesitation.
on 20 June 2001
This is one of those rare, rare books which actually live up to the hype. A dark, bittersweet look at one man falling into the abyss, written beautifully.
on 23 August 2015
The best sports book I've ever read. Read it first 20 years ago. Still superlative.
on 31 January 2000
A tale of drunken and mental anguish fuelled by a hopeless and futile attempt to stagger in the footstep's of a long since dead father.Exley's semi-autobiographical masterpiece, re-released for an ever hungry UK public, demand's the complete and utter attention of it's reader.This wretched essay has all that was missing from that middle class comfort novel "fever pitch" yet has little to do with sport other than mans habitual battle with the savage bottle and love's foul thorns.