Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 April 2014
The book gets under the surface of what it took for Eddy Merckx to become the greatest of all time.
The chapters on his early childhood and family background show how his personality was shaped. Then the exposure of the political pressures on him in his native Belgium, and his relationship with other cyclists and teams is fascinating.
I also found the conclusion to his career and how he had worn himself out very sad.
A great read.
on 30 November 2012
Great read, at the time Merckx was at his prime, I did not follow road cycling.
But in my later years have been a big fan of cycling, following the major Tours for the past 15/20 years, and reading lots of books about the modern greats. Merckx is considered the greatest ever cyclist, and after reading this book I can concur, he is the greatest ever road cyclist.
on 19 November 2014
I'd held off on reading this for a long time as the Merckx era in cycling had passed me by. It's utterly fascinating though; I knew he'd been good but the comparison with modern competition, and the fact that he seemed to go out with the intent to win every race he competed in is amzing.
VINE VOICEon 9 January 2017
Just simply the best biography of Eddy Merckx - and I've got quite a few. We all think we know the story and man, but until you've read this book you're making assumptions. Not only does William cover the career and life of Eddy in the most complete way, he makes it very readable.
on 10 December 2012
bought for husband, a time trial guy. still does his training around 60miles 2-3 times a week. I knew he would like the book as he prefers the real men from years ago Tours. Today it all about science, state if the art bikes and gear. This was an era when men were men !
on 14 February 2014
Far from being an all hail the king type of book. Mr Fotheringham looks at the whole career of Eddy Merckx, his achievements obviously but more interestingly the relationships, his strengths and weaknesses and what motivated his success. A must read for any cycling buff!
on 7 July 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book.

The book is well written and gives you an appreciation of why Merckx is called The Cannibal

It also provides a wonderful contrast to today's mega pro teams where nothing is left to chance.
on 7 January 2013
Very pleased with everything, I bought this book for my husband as a christmas present, it arrived very quickly, in perfect condition and he is really enjoying reading about Eddie Merckx, it is a well written book.
on 30 January 2014
Very good read by a great journalist and a good account of the great Merckx career. I do not usually by sport biographies but as a fan of the athlete and the sport I did this time and not to regret it.
on 4 October 2012
An interesting read for anyone (like myself) that was too young to appreciate how great a cyclist he was. There will probably never be anyone else that will come anywhere near to what he achieved!!!