on 16 February 2003
Being an Arsenal and Robert Pires fan this book was a must. I was a little wary of it, as he is in the middle of a top career and I felt that it was perhaps a little premature? Also, as far as I could gather, it has been printed in French at an earlier date, and has been updated for this English version.
I was pleased to find that it is really interesting; I read it in three days! Intelligently written it is a great insight into how such a world class footballer became the player he is today.
Starting with his youth and moving right through to the present day. It is also written very personally, with good humour and honesty. A must for any aspiring young player - it proves that with hard work and commitment (plus the support of a close knit family), you can make it as a professional.
It is not all plain sailing and there are the bad times too. It covers his recent bad cruciate injury and how he worked so very hard to get over it and back to somewhere near the form which was so cruelly cut short last March.
Overall, if you are a big football fan (even if you are not an Arsenal fan) it is still a very good read!
on 10 June 2003
Robert Pires took the premiership by storm in the new millenium and now he captures our hearts and minds of the reading world. The book tracks back through his life and outlines what was important to him. At first I assumed the book would be shallow and of admiration for Arsenal FC. However when the book starts to track back his roots the book becomes surprisingly emotional and shows that football is not everything in life. The book gives an emotional view on the struggle to become the best and really is an inspiration to an youngster or anyone aiming for the top. Robert Pires you have hit the target once more. Let me just add GO ON GUNNERS
on 23 February 2003
This is one of those books that I am sure a lot of football fans would really enjoy. Even if it's about a team you don't support (a bit like "Fever Pitch"!).
It's well written, entertaining and amusing. Pires tells of his determination to become a top class footballer from an early age. His time growing up, the encouragement he got (and still gets) from family and friends. His good times and the bad ones too are all here.
The sheer hell when he damaged his knee last Spring, and his remarkable recovery which has led him back into contention for trophies with Arsenal once more.
I read it in three days - it was hard to put down as was a very good story. It's descriptive and honest - and above all a great insight into one of the games current heroes.
I would thoroughly recommend it - overall it's a very good read.
on 12 March 2003
I was very pleased when Robert Pires decided to bring out an autobiography as he is my footballing idol. The book for me was hard to put down which is suprising as this is the first book I've read in years. It covers all aspects of his glittering career to date including his time with Metz and his turbulent time at Marseille.
He also describes the time when he was in re-hab and how he had to miss the World Cup through injury. The most enjoyable part of reading this book for me was when he's talking about life in London playing for Arsenal. This is a man at the peak of his career playing for one of the best sides in Europe which made this the most read-able chapter in his autobiography. I would recommend this book to any football fan, Arsenal fan or just a fan of the man himself. A quality book from a quality player!
on 2 October 2010
This is a well written book, thoroughly enjoyed reading it - enjoyed watching Robert Pires when he played for Arsenal, sorry he moved away, but recommend his book.
on 8 April 2003
This is the best biography so far..notthing comes close i was hooked when i started reading i could not put the book down..Well Worth A Read
on 10 November 2013
I'm an Arsenal supporter and have bought this as a Christmas present for another fan. Great player in his day. Looking forward to a read myself.
on 22 April 2014
I little wron out but after reading it can see why. Was good on his personal journey through injury to winning player of the year in 2002,
on 5 November 2013
Quick delivery, product exactly as detailed, immaculate condition, so glad I purchased this, a must read for any Gooner! Red Army!
on 21 July 2015
Great book, brings back good memories. It's well written. I would recommend this book.